Sick Chicken, I need help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ingv8700, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    I have a chicken that has been acting like she is brooding (sp) We have been checking on her off movng her in and out of the bucket, for about a week and when you take her out of her bucket and put her on the ground, she just lays back down again. I just went outside to check on her again and she is finally out of the coop and outside, and was just sitting there. When I walked up to her she got up and moved and there is a huge pile of green/yellow firm poop, and right behind her is some green water. She then got up moved,and started to walk away, she then again sat down again. I don't know if this is what happens when they brood, or if she is seriously sick and I need to put her out of her misery.

Please help!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I don't know what this is but perhaps I can give you a bump so someone who knows gets a chance to see the post. Good luck.

3. ingv8700

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Just went to check on her, take her some bread and water, and she is back in her bucket again.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    The Poo part doesn't sound broody. Hope someone on here can help you.

Best of luck.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    It's hard to tell for sure but it certainly does sound like she is broody. When they are broody and you pick them up and move them off the nest, many times they just lay there for a little bit. Then, they will most likely go get a quick bite to eat, a drink and poo a giant poo. They hold the poo for a long time when brooding eggs because they don't want to dirty their nest. If she runs funny and heads right back to the nest (bucket?), I would say almost 100%, she is broody. The only thing that doesn't sound quite right is the green liquid. Be sure she is eating and drinking because green can sometimes indicate they aren't eating enough. Can you keep food and water near her or be sure to take her to food and water at least 2 or 3 times a day?

Is she getting layer feed as well as bread treats because it's important she get proper nutrition.

6. ingv8700

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    We put food in front of her. Now, I don't think I want her to be broody, we just hatched out 22 eggs, and I really don't want anymore. If I put plastic eggs underneath of her, how long will she continue this process? We take her out of the bucket and get any eggs if there are any, and she goes back in.

The poop just really made me nervous as this is the first time I have seen this. I tried to give her some bread and water and she wanted nothing to do with it.

And yes they are on layer food.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    She sounds broody to me, Their poops are extra stinky and HUGE when they are broody and can be a different consistancy. They seem to loose their appetites while being broody too so make sure she gets off the nest to eat and drink if you choose to let her hatch some eggs. Or you could break the cycle by putting her in a wire bottom cage for a few days with no nesting materials in there(this doesn't always work for every hen).

8. bsmith@cashin.com

[email protected] New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    I need help with a sick chick too and cannot figure out where to post. She has been off for 4 days now 2 days ago passed a big shell less egg and i thought she would feel better. she went down today and did not get up all day or eat or drink. swollen abdomen. I am thinking egg bound? what can be done?

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    bsmith...

Post your concern under emergencies. You'll get a much better response than if you just tag onto this thread. I hope your hen gets better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by