Sick chicken, intestinal blockage?

Rusticgreenacers

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
One of our chickens has been unwell for a few days now. She doesn't really want to move around much and she keeps moving her head and neck like something is stuck in her throat, but we can't feel anything stuck in her throat or crop.
When we caught her she ended up upside down and a strem of mucous/saliva? Came poring out if her mouth, it had a tiny bit of food mixed in.
We've tried flushing out her crop and nothing came out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.47.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.47.51 AM.png
    979.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.48.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.48.08 AM.png
    905.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Is she pooping?
Her stance suggests a reproductive problem. Crop problems can go along with that, since digestion may be affected, slowing or even stopping.

How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Is she pooping?
Her stance suggests a reproductive problem. Crop problems can go along with that, since digestion may be affected, slowing or even stopping.
She is about 10 months old, she defiantly hasn't laid in the last 3days. she didn't poop last night, she did yesterday. She is interested in water and pecks at food but I don't think she actually eats much.
We checked to see if she was egg bound and couldn't feel anything.
I held her upside down this morning and a 1/4 cup of brownish water ( same colour as their food ) came out.
She seems to be slowly fading away, I'd call a vet but we don't have one here.

Poor little thing.

Her stance suggests a reproductive problem.

I totally agree with coach723 - it looks like a stuck egg or possibly egg yolk peritonitis.

Try this link for some info: Saving Clementine

I would check for:
  1. Sour crop - you'll get the horrible sweet/sour smell. Flushing will help a bit (although not without risk) and a gentle massage too. Unlikely though looking at her stance.
  2. She may have an egg stuck further up the reproductive passage. Have you tried the warm bath in Epsom Salts and a half tablet of TUMS (or other calcium indigestion tablet)?
There will be others on here with even better suggestions but that is where I could start.

I really wish you and her the best of luck.

Poor little thing.

I totally agree with coach723 - it looks like a stuck egg or possibly egg yolk peritonitis.

Try this link for some info: Saving Clementine

I would check for:
  1. Sour crop - you'll get the horrible sweet/sour smell. Flushing will help a bit (although not without risk) and a gentle massage too. Unlikely though looking at her stance.
  2. She may have an egg stuck further up the reproductive passage. Have you tried the warm bath in Epsom Salts and a half tablet of TUMS (or other calcium indigestion tablet)?
There will be others on here with even better suggestions but that is where I could start.

I really wish you and her the best of luck.
I don't think she has Sour crop, so smell at all.
We'll have to try a bath.

thank you

If you have some calcium citrate +D (caltrate) give her one of those. Tums will work, but it's slower to absorb. If she's having trouble passing an egg, it will help with contractions. Rather than a bath, you can steam up a bathroom and put her in there. Warm, quiet, low light area, try to help her relax.

One of our chickens has been unwell for a few days now. She doesn't really want to move around much and she keeps moving her head and neck like something is stuck in her throat, but we can't feel anything stuck in her throat or crop.
When we caught her she ended up upside down and a strem of mucous/saliva? Came poring out if her mouth, it had a tiny bit of food mixed in.
We've tried flushing out her crop and nothing came out.

Sadly she passed away last night. I did a autopsy on her, I am no chicken anatomy expert so i am kind of guessing. I believe she had a tumour of some kind at the junction between her gizzard and bowl. She defiantly wasn't egg bound, no eggs anywhere in site.

Back
Top Bottom