Sick Chicken, (Mouth, Saliva, possible blockage)

bmanty

Songster
7 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Fergus Falls MN
Hello, I am looking for ideas on what may be wrong with one of my birds. I will list symptoms, behaviors, etc.

Birds is possibly 5 to 8 years old (Unsure of breed, large hen, Red/Black, Rusty in color)
Bird will still eat, walks around ok but is very calm and does not run from me anymore, I can pick her up and hold her with ease ( I did not raise her, received her about 2.5 years ago from a friend, typically always ran, stayed out of reaching distance)
Roosts/sleeps on the ground. Specifically under the heat lamps when they are on. Will not go on the perches
Holds mouth open often (It is frigid in Minnesota now so overheating should not be the issue)
Saliva noticed in beak and hanging(thick, snotty like, clear) when she opens up.
Noticed food blockage in further back of throat today.

What I have done: I have tried VetRx, in water and put some down her throat and beak the last couple days. I havent notice anything worse yet
When I looked in the mouth today I used cotton swab to clean out saliva and noticed she had ground up food(or what at least appears to be) sitting in her throat, I scooped that out best I can to remove that blockage, it seemed to be better even though she didnt enjoy that process but walked around shortly after eating treats with the others.

Is VetRx Helpful (I am thinking respiratory issues maybe but unsure) and how much time should I wait to see improvement.
I do not have funds for vet trips and expensive meds, etc. but if I cannot fix this I typically euthanize my birds if I cannot help them when they get older or seriously hurt, etc.
I do want to always make them comfortable and that is why I am here
Is this something people see in older birds when they get to that 6+ range in age?

Any suggestions of what this may be or what I can try.

Thank you

The mucus could be a sign of a respiratory disease. Is there any yellow material that is foul smelling inside her beak or throat? How does her crop in her right chest feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Feel it first thing in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight. Crop disorders can also make crop contents come back up into the throat. How is her breath smelling?

The mucus could be a sign of a respiratory disease. Is there any yellow material that is foul smelling inside her beak or throat? How does her crop in her right chest feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Feel it first thing in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight. Crop disorders can also make crop contents come back up into the throat. How is her breath smelling?
Thank you, I will check the crops, I have not seen any yellow material and foul smelling as of now

Back
Top Bottom