Sick chicken/neurological problems?

kelebek1977

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 4, 2014
**Not my chicken **

Looking for advice for the owner. Suddenly unable to walk, raspy breathing and vision not good. No signs of mucous in eyes or nostrils. Can only find food when sprinkled right in front of her but her head turns as she's pecking for it and she misses. Liquids given frequently via syringe. Nutri drench also given in water.
I thought toxicosis by the video description but unsure. (Her owner just called to say her eating is better but still not able to stand up. )

Thank you in advance.

How old?
If neurological, I would direct dose the PND at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight instead of putting it in the water.
Keep her hydrated.
Check to make sure there's no infection or mites inside the ears that could part of the problem.

Symptoms you describe can be from so many things. Marek's disease does come to mind. Eating something toxic or rotten are a couple of other things to check out.

If they happen to lose her and want to get more information, sending the body for necropsy is a good idea. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

How old?
If neurological, I would direct dose the PND at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight instead of putting it in the water.
Keep her hydrated.
Check to make sure there's no infection or mites inside the ears that could part of the problem.

Symptoms you describe can be from so many things. Marek's disease does come to mind. Eating something toxic or rotten are a couple of other things to check out.

If they happen to lose her and want to get more information, sending the body for necropsy is a good idea. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
She is around 3yrs old. She lives on a large, free range farm so it's quite possible she may have eaten something bad. We're in scotland UK. My friend is bringing her to me so I can carry on treating as she doesnt have time to monitor her. Ill check her over for mites.Would it be worthwhile giving activated charcoal in water?

She is around 3yrs old. She lives on a large, free range farm so it's quite possible she may have eaten something bad. We're in scotland UK. My friend is bringing her to me so I can carry on treating as she doesnt have time to monitor her. Ill check her over for mites.Would it be worthwhile giving activated charcoal in water?
If you are confident that a toxin may be causing her symptoms and vet care is not an option, then a flush may be worth trying.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/

**Not my chicken **

Looking for advice for the owner. Suddenly unable to walk, raspy breathing and vision not good. No signs of mucous in eyes or nostrils. Can only find food when sprinkled right in front of her but her head turns as she's pecking for it and she misses. Liquids given frequently via syringe. Nutri drench also given in water.
I thought toxicosis by the video description but unsure. (Her owner just called to say her eating is better but still not able to stand up. )

Thank you in advance.
Hi,
I have a hen that is acting similar. What was the outcome? I just started giving her Nutri drench directly.

Back
Top Bottom