Sick Chicken? Not sure what to do?

Tiffany1804

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
I am new to chicken owning we have 5 hens. One of our Silkies (she is 5 months old) started acting a little weird yesterday. She just wasn't running around with the other Hens. Today I went to let the chickens free range and noticed that she had layed right under the larger chickens perch and got pooed on twice last night. Usually our bantams always stay together and sleep together. When I let all the chickens out she just layed in the same spot she must have slept in. I carefully pulled her out and got the poo off of her. Now she is inside with me and is not doing much. She is just laying with her head tucked in her furr/feathers. She doesn't want to eat or drink and she will look up to see whats going on when I pet her or move her but then sticks her head back in her feathers. Not sure what to do. That is the only symptom she seems to be breathing fine and nothing is coming out of her nose. She is sneezing every so often but not much.

Also none of the other chickens seem to have anything wrong with them. There is not a chicken vet near so I can't take her anywhere. She has only sneezed twice and will chirp a little. She seems to just be sleeping.

Sneezing twice is actually a lot of sneezing, except if there was dust in the air that caused it. Keep her warm and dry and snuggly. She needs to be kept hydrated (via dropper if you have to, dribbling water gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke). A couple of drops of Pedialtye liquid children's vitamins may bolster her. She may well need meds emergently to get through this. Just laying there and not eating/drinking is very serious.
Don't know how far the vet is, or a decent store well equipped with meds. You could call Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply(info will come right up when googled), also known as the Chicken Doctor and he will consult via phone.
Some folks here may recommend something like Tylan 50, not sure - have never used it......
JJ

Back
Top Bottom