Sick chicken one already died (please help ASAP)

ChickenLover2007

Songster
May 22, 2020
I already had one chicken die but I thought it was just from old age since she was a 4 year old isa brown. Now I have another chicken that is acting sick that is only a little over a year old. It cannot get up at all and is just laying there on its side. It is a sizzle so that is why it’s feathers are raised like that in the picture.
image.jpg
image.jpg

None of the other chickens have symptoms of this. These symptoms only started today. I have had problems with scaly leg mites, do u think it could be from them.

Is it molting or is it mites or something making the wings look bare?
Also it looks dirty around it's back end, is this from it droppings or could it be like a broken egg or something?
I think it could be mites that are making its feathers like that, but it could also be molting. I am going to get something to get rid of mites just incase. It’s back end is dirty from droppings. I washed it off as best I could, but today it’s all dirty again. It’s acting like the other chicken before it died. Yesterday I tried to feed it some egg with some vitamins I put in it and it wouldn’t eat. I put some vitamins in the chickens water too, and I don’t know if they drank that. Today the chicken is acting worse and is just laying in the coop.

Mite of any kind can kill a chicken, just takes a handful of them. If one chicken has it they all do. They drink the blood of the chicken and reproduce to create more of them.

You need to identify what type of mites are on the chicken. And use:
Screenshot_20220712-141523_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I already had one chicken die but I thought it was just from old age since she was a 4 year old isa brown. Now I have another chicken that is acting sick that is only a little over a year old. It cannot get up at all and is just laying there on its side. It is a sizzle so that is why it’s feathers are raised like that in the picture. View attachment 3182446View attachment 3182447

None of the other chickens have symptoms of this. These symptoms only started today. I have had problems with scaly leg mites, do u think it could be from them.
Can she see? Perhaps the feathers around her eyes need a trimming.

I agree, I'd give her back side a cleanup, but do take care of getting her too wet if she's lethargic.
A good clear, closer up photo her feather condition and legs may be helpful.

If she's got SLM, then you will need to treat those using an oil/vaseline/Nustock Cream on the legs to help smother the mites. For the body, get some Permethrin dust or spray as suggested.

Work on hydration, electrolytes would be good. Once she's drinking, then offer her some wet feed.

Does she get mounted a lot by the rooster? It may be best to separate her out into a kennel or crate with her own food/water until you figure this out and she recovers.

When was her last egg?
What do you feed?

What should I use to get rid of mites?
Ok..here I go again. I did not use anything that was ever suggested for mites for chickens after I tried this. I used the cheapest, and easiest thing ever! And it works the best of anything I had tried.. before! Found in the pet shop. It's the stuff they use for mites in pet birds. I thought, if it works for them, why not chickens? Sure enough!! Spray some under the wings, the butt, the neck..top and under...the back..and chest. Easy. Works!!
113719-Center-1.jpeg

Ok..here I go again. I did not use anything that was ever suggested for mites for chickens after I tried this. I used the cheapest, and easiest thing ever! And it works the best of anything I had tried.. before! Found in the pet shop. It's the stuff they use for mites in pet birds. I thought, if it works for them, why not chickens? Sure enough!! Spray some under the wings, the butt, the neck..top and under...the back..and chest. Easy. Works!!
That will work.
It is Pyrethrins. Permethrin is basically the "synthetic" version of Pyrethrin. So, you did actually use something similar to what was recommended :)

Back
Top Bottom