Sick Chicken, Please Help, Picture Included.

smedly9921

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
North East Ohio

So, I found this chicken in my coop yesterday morning. She was acting normal but the one side of her face looked liked this. Very swollen. Clear liquid (looks like tears) coming from her eye. She is just under a year old. No other chickens are showing anything similar. I have separated her from the rest of the group, She has not laid any eggs since i separated her. She has not eaten much. Other wise she acts normal. I'm not sure if she is sick or got hurt. Its just the one side of her face. It has not gotten better or worse over the last 24 hours. I am looking for ideas on what everyone thinks this is, plus any treatment ideas. No vets its just me and backyard chickens for this one. I look forward to every ones responses and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Like Chaos said, its probably MG or coryza.

I treat with anti bac on a cotton q-tip all over the face.
Keep seperate, once it goes away, bathe it. Then, once all is healed:
Place back in the coop :)

Like Chaos said, its probably MG or coryza.

I treat with anti bac on a cotton q-tip all over the face.
Keep seperate, once it goes away, bathe it. Then, once all is healed:
Place back in the coop :)
IF it's MG or Infectious Coryza, it wont heal. As a matter of fact, it'll never go away and will spread to other birds. Antibiotics may treat either disease, but not cure them. If it's a virus, antibiotics are useless.

If it were an infection or disease wouldn't it affect both sides of the face and other parts of the body. Upon close inspection i could not see any real trauma like a sting or bite. It has not bleed or there is no foul smell or colored discharge coming from the bird. If i were to use an antibiotic ointment on the bird what should i try. I have seperated the bird from the others just in case. How would the bird get sick when none of the other birds are sick. I keep the area clean and the have soooooo much fresh water is not funny, over 10 gallons in 7 different water fountains that get changed every day no matter what, and scrubbed clean weekly. I hope this answers more questions so people can help out my poor chicken.

Please somebody help me out here, The swelling has gotten worse, still only one side of the face. However the chicken is eating and drinking very well the last few days. poop looks normal, still no eggs. Anyone with any more suggestions or thoughts would be great.

Back
Top Bottom