Sick Chicken- Please help!!

Chicken_girl_07

Chirping
May 20, 2020
PA
My Coop
My Coop
This is my 4 year old hen Phoenix. I’ve noticed today that she was standing in the coop with her feathers puffed, eyes closed and not moving, even when other hens bumped her. I watched her for a while and she is not eating. When I picked her up to put her in a platform to inspect her, I heard a watery noise and then she puked. It was brown and had a few specks of something in it. Her vent looks clean, however, between her legs she has a huge bare spot where the feathers have been picked clean. It has been like this for some time, I just thought she was going broody. Her crop doesn’t feel hard however it does feel a little inflated. Where the feathers are missing it does feel a little firm, more so than I think normal. She was out foraging on Saturday and Sunday, and I was told by a family member today that they saw her just standing there and not moving. Please let me know if you have any idea what this could be!

Attachments

• C37036A2-B321-40C7-9F74-5F5600C0AECF.jpeg
    C37036A2-B321-40C7-9F74-5F5600C0AECF.jpeg
    719.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 3B9F3580-26A6-4F3F-BC7C-8F9CABF17342.jpeg
    3B9F3580-26A6-4F3F-BC7C-8F9CABF17342.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 1
Her crop looks quite prominent in the 2nd pic. Plus what you said about the brown liquid makes me think she has sour crop. It is probably filled with fluid. Does her breath smell very bad?

You can get Apple Cider Vinegar with garlic mixed in, which is a good antifungal, as a preventative in future. Make sure they have grit to eat and make sure they aren't regularly eating lots of long grass or big leaves as it can cause crop blockages and lead to this eventually.

I've heard that feeding yoghurt and adding ACV to water can help with sour crop, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will reply with more info as I'm sure there's antifungal medicine you can give her. If her breath doesn't smell yet hopefully there is still time before it turns to sour crop.

I would personally try to get some of the liquid out of her crop by tilting her forward and gently massaging it, but I think some would disagree due to danger of her aspirating the fluid. If you do this, do not do it for more than like 5 seconds at a time and give her plenty of time to breathe afterwards each time. You might need someone else to help pull out tangled strands of grass that come up.

Back
Top Bottom