sick chicken, please help

Spring Chook

Songster
10 Years
Dec 29, 2009
Topanga
My 2 yr old bantam Talulah has been ill for over a week. I posted about a week ago and it was suggested that she had sour crop but that didnt turn out to be the case. I'm at a loss to know what to do. Symptoms are:
no apetite - iniitially she would eat a bit of yoghurt and bread, but now she isnt eating anything and not drinking much either
fluffed up feathers
walking around slowly
lethargic
not scratching around
very runny white plus green poo

initially I separated her but she hated that and as she is so thin, she managed to get through a gap to be with her friends. so i've let her stay. the 6 others are fine. i've put antibiotics in the water. she is managing to get on her persc at night.

any thoughts ....

Did you dust her? Sevin dust is the best for mites. Also, have you wormed her--sounds like some sort of parasite? I use Ivermectin for that. Lastly, how are your temps? If it's cold, it makes it worse on a sick chicken, so I'd get her under a heat lamp in an enclosed area/cage. I would separate her from the others as well--you don't want this spreading. I would cook her some nice warm rice and scrambled eggs--good protein--contineu with the yogurt! Good luck!

thanks for your reply, I dont think its mites, but I've now dusted her and all the others. Someone suggested she might be egg bound, but I just checked and there's nothing there. I'm in Topanga, La and its not too cold, above freezing at night so I dont think that is making her worse. Poor little thing. I think her days are definitely numbered.

I am still pretty new at raising chickens, but i ran across a " poultry remedy " called VetRx , i will never be with out it! So you may want to try it ! I hope your chicken gets better

I'm sorry to report Little Talulah crossed the road last night. In the end I took her to the vet who said she had an infection in her crop, and gave me a prescription for an antibacterial and some antibiotics which I started her on immediately, but last night when I went to check her, she had fallen off her perch. I fed her some scrabble egg and put her in a nesting box but she was dead in the morning. Either I started the meds too late, or, and I think this is very possible, the trip to the vet traumatised her and made her worse. Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom