Sick Chicken Please Help!

pleach

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Texas
A few weeks ago I started noticing that my chicken was getting a skin infection. It keeps getting worse and worse. My hens head is very swollen and covered in scabs and bumps. Does anyone know what this is and what can I use to stop it? I am new to BYC and I would love to have some good reliable feedback.

welcome-byc.gif
please post photos and details on the" Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," forum More experienced people monitor that thread. I think your chicken has fowl pox. You could put that in the search box and a lot of info. should pop up.

Last edited:
Look like chicken pox to me. You can isolate the bird to prevent the disease getting to the others. Normally a bird can fight back but we need to help not letting these symptoms to get to the eyes area. Once the eyes are swollen and shut, the bird will stop eating. To prevent it to get to the face is recognizing it early and applying Vicks Vapro Rub cream around the face and the infected area. Once the bird are healing, do not peel the scab, should let it fall by itself.

Back
Top Bottom