Sick chicken- should I wait longer or cull?

MuckyMeadowFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Brooks, Maine
This chicken has been fighting an illness for 3 weeks. I am at the point of wondering if she will get better or should I cull her. Hoping someone has had a similar experience or can pick up on symptoms.

She is in a kennel in the warm house. Week one: did not eat, did not drink, heavy breathing, shaking head,poop runny and bright green with undigested food. Week 2: runny poop but normal color, started eating and drinking. Week 3: eating and drinking, normal poop, bright red comb, seems perfect but now suddenly can't walk/uses wing to balance. Still shaking head.

I've fed her eggs, apple cider vinegar, checked for egg bound (she's not). Given wazine, poultry dusted her.

So everything else is better but now can't walk, could she recover or is she suffering?

Fyi- I'm afraid it is something contagious as two other birds were affected. One died (dark purple comb and heavy breathing), the other recovered after wazine/dusting.

If I do cull this one, am going to bring her in for necrospy.

Lameness is not always a sign of Mareks disease, but that can be something to cause that and starving. She sounds to me like she has had a respiratory disease from the other two, that has knocked her down. Head shaking and heavy breathing can be signs of most respiratory diseases. Have you seen nasal drainage, coughing or sneezing, and foamy eyes in the three chickens? Aspergillosis from mold and wet conditions, infectious bronchitis, MG and other diseases are common in chickens. Many times there may be more than one disease present in dead birds. I would give her vitamins with minerals, such as Poultry Cell 3 ml daily given orally, and feed her some egg and plain yogurt mixed into a wet mash of her chicken feed with water. If she doesn't get better in a week or two, or dies in the meantime, I would definitely get a necropsy done by your state vet. I can get you contact info if needed.

Back
Top Bottom