Sick Chicken-Sneezing and runny nose

Alagrace

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
I have a pullet that is sneezing and has a slight runny nose. I'm worried about her especially in this cold weather. Night time gets down to about 28 degrees right now,and its about 40 degrees in the daytime. She is with one other chicken in one of those prefabricated coops that have a small covered run. She also has a 100' uncovered run. I put shavings inside the coop. Will this keep them warm enough? I haven't put her with my other chickens that have a better coop because she is too small yet. Have any suggestions? So far, I have put her on oxitetracycline. She isn't acting sick yet, just sneezing and runny nose.Thanks for any input.

Make sure this prefab coop as good ventilation. Poor air movement can hurt the respiratory system of birds. Chickens need a lot of air at night and vents are necessary to suck out all the moisture from the breathing and the pooping, not to mention all the ammonia smell which can damage the breathing. A wet coop contains cold birds. I have used small coops before with terrible luck. The venting is just awful in these tiny coops.

This could be contributing to this birds runny nose. A lot of dust can cause sneezing however they shouldn't be wet sneezes if it were just dust. I would keep her on the oxy for 7 to 14 days but check out your vent system in this smaller coop to make sure it is up to par. I wouldn't add any heat to her unless she starts to act sick or cold.

Thanks for your suggestions. She is doing better. No runny nose or sneezing :) I think it's the ventilation in the coop. They have been next to our larger coop/run for about a week now in a look but don't touch run, so I will be integrating her and her buddy in to the large coop tomorrow which will be good for them. Goodbye mini coop!

Thanks for your suggestions. She is doing better. No runny nose or sneezing :) I think it's the ventilation in the coop. They have been next to our larger coop/run for about a week now in a look but don't touch run, so I will be integrating her and her buddy in to the large coop tomorrow which will be good for them. Goodbye mini coop!
Yes, that is why I suggested the ventilation in the coop. I had the same issue using a small coop. They need fresh, dry air, free of ammonia at all times. When the ventilation isn't working properly, the respiratory system of the bird suffers.

Great to hear she is doing better!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom