Sick chicken? Stayed on roost all morning. Drinking water.

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Hello everyone. One of my hens, about 3 years old, has been acting funny today. She was fine last night when she went to roost but didn't come out this morning. When I got home from work she was still on the roost! This is very unusual for her. I picked her up and set her out of the roost. She didn't move much at first but after about 10 minutes walked over and took some drinks out of a puddle. She didn't walk around and peck with the other girls so after a half hour or so I quarantined her in a dog kennel in the garage. She still isn't doing much. I have observed her drinking water but not eating anything. She seems like she is panting. We did check for a bound egg but didn't feel anything. She has not laid a egg in at least a month (due to stress from introducing new ones this summer I think). Any thoughts, suggestions, advice? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately she has the classic symptoms of a sick chicken. It can be hard to pinpoint the cause without other more specific symptoms. Since she had stopped laying a month before I might suspect something internal is going on with her. If you have access to a vet perhaps take her, otherwise I don't think there's anything you can do for her, but keep her comfortable and see if she improves.

How is she doing?
What does her poop look like?
She's panting - any symptoms of respiratory illness, like wheezing, coughing, runny nose, etc.?
How hot is your weather?

Try your best to encourage her to drink. Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water. After she is drinking, see if she will eat her normal feed, some chopped egg or tuna.

Feel her abdomen - does it feed swollen, bloated or fluid filled?

It's very hard to know what's going on. As @oldhenlikesdogs mentioned, she could have an internal laying/reproductive disorder. With her age and not laying eggs, it's possible, but try to rule out things like mites/lice, injury and stress due to hot weather and the introduction of new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom