Sick chicken, swollen ears and no balance

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Woke up this morning to one of my hens just laying in the coop. Her ears are really swollen amd she seems unable to get her feet under her. I don't see any noticeable injuries to prevent her from being able to walk, could it be equilibrium issues because of the ear infection? I have penicillin injection that i can treat her with, just want to make sure there is nothing else going on.
20210117_102530.jpg
20210117_102527.jpg

Woke up this morning to one of my hens just laying in the coop. Her ears are really swollen amd she seems unable to get her feet under her. I don't see any noticeable injuries to prevent her from being able to walk, could it be equilibrium issues because of the ear infection? I have penicillin injection that i can treat her with, just want to make sure there is nothing else going on.
Why does she look like she's got water droplets on her feathers?
Is the back of her head and comb injured too?

I would go on the assumption that an ear infection is contributing to the balance issues. Are both ears swollen? Do you see some pus inside them?
I would clean out the ears if they have gunk in them. Drop 1 drop of Peroxide in the ears and then work on getting the infection out. Put a little neosporin in the ear. Repeat cleaning out the ear daily.

Hard to know the cause of the infection whether due to respiratory disease or something else. It's possible the Penicillin might be effective, but Tylosin would be what I would use. You can order it online at the links below.
Baytril would be another option, but keep in mind that it's not approved for use in poultry.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Why does she look like she's got water droplets on her feathers?
Is the back of her head and comb injured too?

I would go on the assumption that an ear infection is contributing to the balance issues. Are both ears swollen? Do you see some pus inside them?
I would clean out the ears if they have gunk in them. Drop 1 drop of Peroxide in the ears and then work on getting the infection out. Put a little neosporin in the ear. Repeat cleaning out the ear daily.

Hard to know the cause of the infection whether due to respiratory disease or something else. It's possible the Penicillin might be effective, but Tylosin would be what I would use. You can order it online at the links below.
Baytril would be another option, but keep in mind that it's not approved for use in poultry.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
I was rinsing her off because she had pooped on herself. She is injured on her comb, I think the rest of the flock was attacking her. I did the peroxide and I can't see anything in her ears, they both look clean. She is swollen on both earlobes, but one is much worse than the other. She is eating, but won't drink.

I was rinsing her off because she had pooped on herself. She is injured on her comb, I think the rest of the flock was attacking her. I did the peroxide and I can't see anything in her ears, they both look clean. She is swollen on both earlobes, but one is much worse than the other. She is eating, but won't drink.
It looks like she's been pecked on the ears as well. Nothing in the ears? They are clean?
Nothing inside of the beak like canker or mucous?

I would apply a little neosporin to her earlobes to help the injuries healed. If the flock attacked her she may have more wrong. Have you felt inside her vent to see if she's got an egg stuck?

It looks like she's been pecked on the ears as well. Nothing in the ears? They are clean?
Nothing inside of the beak like canker or mucous?

I would apply a little neosporin to her earlobes to help the injuries healed. If the flock attacked her she may have more wrong. Have you felt inside her vent to see if she's got an egg stuck?

Ears are a little damaged, but clean with nothing in them. Her mouth is good as well. Doesn't feel egg bound, just can't hold her weight up. She will try to stand but it's like her legs aren't working. She can move them, but not get them under her. When i try to sit her up she sits back on her haunches.

I would try to get fluids into her and give 1/4 tablet B-Complex along with 400IU Vitamin E.

Not sure what's going on with the ears unless that was the target of them pecking at her. Re-look all over her head to make sure there's not something like a tiny tick embedded that could be the cause of swelling.

How old is she? It does look like she has been pecked about her comb and ears. That may have caused the ear swelling. Others may attack a chicken that is acting ill or who cannot stand or get around normally. I would separate her and get her drinking fluids and electrolytes. Poultry NutriDrench given orally 2 ml daily is good for electrolytes. Try to get her eating after she is hydrated. Let us know what her droppings look like.

How old is she? It does look like she has been pecked about her comb and ears. That may have caused the ear swelling. Others may attack a chicken that is acting ill or who cannot stand or get around normally. I would separate her and get her drinking fluids and electrolytes. Poultry NutriDrench given orally 2 ml daily is good for electrolytes. Try to get her eating after she is hydrated. Let us know what her droppings look like.

She is only 24wks. She does have some swelling near the inside of her eye so maybe sinus infection and the pecking?? She has drank some and eaten some, no droppings yet. She was fine yesterday. She is alert and seems to want to be active.

She passed during the night. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom