Sick chicken? *updated with more information*

Stevenson

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Southwest Indiana
One of my Delaware hens has been acting "down" the last several days. She keeps her head tucked back and doesn't act like she feels good. Tonight I went to check on her and picked her up...wow...she doesn't hardly weigh anything and it feels like there's nothing there! I picked up another Delaware hen and the difference was unreal. I moved the "sick" hen into a separate pen in the garage, but I think it is probably cull time. Does anyone have any ideas based on what I have described?

Edited to say: More information below

Last edited:
Sorry she is so ill.
sad.png

If you can, fill out the sticky on the top of emergencies/diseases, etc. and re post. Many things can cause weight loss and illness and birds tend to hide illness until they are really sick and cannot hide it anymore. Keep her nice and warm and get some vitamins (and electrolytes if you have the mix) down her--a children's vitamin like Poly Vi SOl is OK but be sure NO IRON. Water is also essential and offer some live food such as worms and/or her favorite foods. Basically supportive care until she gets a little strength to give her a good physical exam.

Do all of your hens get their fair share of feed? Its not uncommon for a hen to get chased away from the food trough so I always have more than one feeding and water stations. Do you have any idea if she has been laying eggs? Any noticeable lacerations? Is her crop distended or flat? Any odors coming from her crop or her body? Check her droppings.

I hope you figure it out and my fingers are crossed she recovers.

Thanks for the information. I know I was being vague, but honestly, I didn't know what to tell you all.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Delaware, 8 months old, a lot lighter and thinner than the other birds of the same breed and age

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

She just looks bad. She tucks her head back and doesn't hang out with the rest of the chickens.
79085_sick.jpg

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I noticed it about 4 days ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, I just went out and checked again and everything looks fine.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

I don't see any.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

nothing that I am aware of

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

My chickens have 2 stations in the coop that they can get layer feed at any time. I supplement it by throwing scratch into the run each morning. She is eating and drinking (I know because I have her separated and she is eager to do both.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

her poop looks normal to me

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Just separated her. Nothing yet

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I know that many of you will disagree with me, but I am not willing to spend money on her. My intent is to raise dual purpose chickens the way they used to be raised...to give meat and eggs to the family. I am also working on the vigor, so even if this one survives, she won't be used to breed. I am asking these questions so that I can learn what to do in the future and to decide if I need to cull this hen. She is so light, I think she must have been sick for a while.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

See above - no wound

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

I have an 8'x12' coop with a large run (55'x75') for 30 chickens. I use pine bedding and have a poop board under the roost that I clean off, so the pine bedding is still fairly clean. Picture below is while coop was still under construction.
79085_coop18.jpg

Again, I am trying to learn from this so that I know what to do in the future and what to look for so that I can do something next time if this is preventable. One other note, I have too many roosters with the hens...I know I do. I do plan on culling some out tomorrow. I don't think that this has anything to do with this, but the hens do get a "little too much action".

Thanks for your help! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Last edited:
In addition to what I mentioned in post #4, she could be eggbound or maybe cocci. Additionally your enthusiastic roosters couldve injured her. Check under her wings along her sides towards her abdomen for any punctures made by the roos treading her. If it's cocci, treat her with corid. Eggbound...try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 20 minutes and gently massage her underside front to rear. Hopefully she'll lay an egg if that's what the problem is. I'm covering all the possibilities. Good luck.

Did you check her crop? I lost a roo last week due to an impacted crop. Or a sour crop? That will have a strange smell. If the 'chest' area (or the crop) is swollen or hard, massage it (not too hard) while holding bird on its back, tip over (to where her head is hanging down and towards the ground) and see if any fluids run out of her mouth. I am just learning myself, but if you look up crop issues on the internet, there seems to be a lot of information. Hope this helps. Good luck and I hope your bird gets better..

ok....I put some paper towels in the bottom of the pen she is in to better see her poop and it is extremely runny...almost like she is pooping water. There is some "poop" in the middle as well, but it isn't real solid. Looks like cocci might be it. I am running to Rural King now to see if they have a small container of corid and to find out how much it is. Are my other chickens at risk? I have refused to medicate these birds since they were hatched because I want to build up immunity in my flock, but I certainly don't want to lose them all before I can start my own line! Any ideas will be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom