Sick chicken . URGENT HELP!

Mily79

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
Hi guys, I got this chicken who is barely 2 years old ,she turned 2 years old 3 days ago. She hasn't laid like in 2 weeks and her crop hasnt empty for 3 days it feels like it has hard ball clumps with water . Two days ago I noticed she wasn't being loud or eating that much so I brought her inside in the night.The next she woke up lethargic but not that much, she didn't ate except wet food with greek yogurt. She was like that throughout the whole day.later in the day I gave her a Epsom salt bath and in the night.Today she woke up really lethargic and weak she doesn't eat she only looks at her food but doesn't eat it.She doesn't eat dry food anymore but she only eats wet food. She barely moves ,and poops liquid with chunks. I gave her another bath and she got a little worse she barely walks now and just stays like in the 1st photo. Weeks ago she didn't wanted to eat besides wet food but she recovered and started eating her regular food but not that much. Her comb is turning a bit purple. My chicken only pays attention to human food and yogurt and not chicken food.She only does liquid poop. She's a loud active chicken, the last two photos is how she normally/always looks. Could yall please help me out,I appreciate it.
20230818_184037.jpg
20230818_183821.jpg
20230818_183758.jpg
20230818_183747.jpg
20230818_183709.jpg
20230818_183658.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg
IMG_20230704_125942_628.jpg

20230818_192637.jpg

Attachments

• 20230807_161841.jpg
    20230807_161841.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220814_113130.jpg
    20220814_113130.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230818_192637.jpg
    20230818_192637.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi guys, I got this chicken who is barely 2 years old ,she turned 2 years old 3 days ago. She hasn't laid like in 2 weeks and her crop hasnt empty for 3 days it feels like it has hard ball clumps with water . Two days ago I noticed she wasn't being loud or eating that much so I brought her inside in the night.The next she woke up lethargic but not that much, she didn't ate except wet food with greek yogurt. She was like that throughout the whole day.later in the day I gave her a Epsom salt bath and in the night.Today she woke up really lethargic and weak she doesn't eat she only looks at her food but doesn't eat it.She doesn't eat dry food anymore but she only eats wet food. She barely moves ,and poops liquid with chunks. I gave her another bath and she got a little worse she barely walks now and just stays like in the 1st photo. Weeks ago she didn't wanted to eat besides wet food but she recovered and started eating her regular food but not that much. Her comb is turning a bit purple. My chicken only pays attention to human food and yogurt and not chicken food.She only does liquid poop. She's a loud active chicken, the last two photos is how she normally/always looks. Could yall please help me out,I appreciate it.

View attachment 3613132View attachment 3613133
Her butt is
Her breast bone is really visible, I previously had sour crop chickens and it wasn't like that,though there was this chicken who was struggling to lay her eggs and her crop didn't empty. She has been struggling to eat. She's always thirsty,and always wanting to drink water.

Her breast bone is really visible, I previously had sour crop chickens and it wasn't like that,though there was this chicken who was struggling to lay her eggs and her crop didn't empty. She has been struggling to eat. She's always thirsty,and always wanting to drink water.
I linked that crop issue article because of what you said in OP "She hasn't laid like in 2 weeks and her crop hasnt empty for 3 days it feels like it has hard ball clumps with water . " If you don't think it's a crop issue then I'm not sure what else from the other things you said were happening that it could be. I wish I could be more help. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I’ve been dealing with the same thing. Today my hen passed a crumpled up flesh colored shell. I’ve always thought she had reproductive issues and I’ve been dealing with crop issues with her for two years. Her comb gets dark at times too and that’s a circulation problem. I give her a little coconut oil when I see it and it seems to help.

After passing the strange shell she started acting better. I had given her live apple cider vinegar. Not sure if that helped too but her crop started going down. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I was told on here to put my hen on good pellet food and stop treats.

I hope your girl gets better. Crop issues are tough and require patience.

She hasn't laid like in 2 weeks and her crop hasnt empty for 3 days it feels like it has hard ball clumps with water .
I would get some extra Calcium into her asap. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.
Work on treating the crop going by the article that @DLA provided for you in Post#2.

It sounds like your hen may be having some reproductive issues which can cause the digestive system to slow down. The Calcium may help her expel an egg or material that she's having a hard time with.

Thank you everyone. Today she woke up and her crop was empty but still had the ball clumps in it ,they haven't gone away for about 3 days.

Thank you everyone. Today she woke up and her crop was empty but still had the ball clumps in it ,they haven't gone away for about 3 days.
Days ago I gave all my chickens wet feed ,tomato,bread and mealworms. She was eating a lot that day. For weeks she has not been wanting dry feed besides wet feed though she still ate a little dry. I think all the food that I gave her that day might be the ball clumps in her crop that haven't gone away.

Have you tried anything from the article in post 2? Chilled coconut oil can be cut into small pieces to peck 1-2 tsp daily. Then you can massage the crop in a downward motion several times a day, and make sure that she drinks. Miconazole or Monistat cream may be given orally if there is some fungal infection or sour crop. Reproductive, worms, or other issues can cause a crop to slow down, and may be chronic.

Back
Top Bottom