Sick chicken, watery eyes and breathing through mouth

A Hasbee

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2018
My polish are sick and very lazy. Eyes seems watery and half closed. Is it flu or cold? Its start of winter here. Kindly advise medicine. No vet available.
Both polish got sick at same time when checked in morning. Rest of chickens seem ok.
Urgent response requested.

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_095820.jpg
    IMG_20181125_095820.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20181125_095825.jpg
    IMG_20181125_095825.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 11
There are several respiratory diseases that affect chickens, many of them viral. Someone who knows more than I do will hopefully be along soon, but I know they will need more info than you've given... age of birds, how they are kept, how long you've had them, when symptoms showed up, other symptoms...

I would advise that you move the sick birds and keep them isolated away from the rest of your flock. That will also allow you to see if they are eating normally and if there are any changes in their condition.

Hope your birds get better.

About 10 weeks old. Kept from 9 weeks. Its bit cold in night. Max Temp in day 82F and min 46F in night.
Kept in large cage with direct sunlight available in half cage for appox 4 hours. Part of cage is covered. Overall neat n clean.

More pic attached the way chick is constantly opening mouth to breath. Both blacks are affected even smaller whites or silkies are ok

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_132907.jpg
    IMG_20181125_132907.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181125_133257.jpg
    IMG_20181125_133257.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 8
They may have been exposed to a respiratory disease at their previous home or yours. Common respiratory diseases are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) and several others. MG can be transmitted through a hatching egg as well. It sounds like MG or IB, and MG can be treated with Tylan, Denagard, tetracycline drugs, and others. Where are you located? In the US, we can get Tylan 50 from feed stores. In Europe, they need to come from a vet usually. They may need a little extra warmth, and I would make sure they are drinking enough water. Offer watery chick feed, and a bit of cooked egg. Keep there eyes and nostrils clean if they become crusty with drainage.

Here is a list of common diseases, and you will want to read about MG, infectious bronchitis, ILT, and coryza which are common respiratory ones. With the gasping, I would go ahead and try an antibiotic. Can you get Tylan50 injectable and some syringes with needles at your feed store? Dosage is 0.25 ml 3 times daily for 5 days. Remove the needle. Give it orally a drop at a time, so not to choke them.

Thanks bro. I m in Pakistan. Kindly give me the Generic names to buy here. Vet is not available but i can easily get antibiotics here.
I have given them today vibramycine mixed in drinking water.

Vibramycin is doxycycline, a member of the tetracycline family, and is good for treating mycoplasma (MG.) Make sure they are drinking plenty of the medicated water. They may always be carriers of whatever disease they have, and they can become ill again whenever they are stressed. Cold weather and moulting may cause a relapse.

Back
Top Bottom