Sick Chicken wih white watery diarrhea

sarahlee

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
Hello all. My Buff Orpington seems ill & I need a little help. About 2 weeks ago I discovered that she had a pretty sever case of bumble foot. She was not showing signs of any distress when I noticed the foot. She happened to be on the roost when I walked into the coop. That's when I noticed her foot. She walked fine, but the bumblefoot was noticed on top & bottom of her foot. I immediately isolated her & was able to diagnose the bumblefoot.
My hubby & I have been treating the foot & have removed the kernals. Her foot is now healing slowly. I am keeping her isolated in a cage until the foot heals. About every other day, my hubby & I take her out of the cage & change the dressing. I change the bedding prior to placing her back in, as well. It has been going very well. All the swelling is gone from her foot & she's been walking fine (no limping). I have been feeding her Greek yogurt mixed with her feed (laying pellets & cracked corn). She has grit & plain food for her choosing as well. And, of course, has water. She had been eating fine up to this point. She even clucks when she sees me so she can get more yogurt/feed mix (she gets really excited when I give it to her).
About a week ago, we noticed she had some lice, but not severe. I figured it was due to her not being able to dust-bathe. So, we dusted her. 2 days later, no lice. I did not dust her again.
Well, last night was her scheduled dressing change day (4 days after finding the lice). We brought her into the house. We flipped her onto her back to make the wound care easier. She usually fights a little, but calms quickly, last night was no different. Almost immediately after flipping her onto her back, she vomitted. It looked as though is was mainly water with a little bit of feed mixed with it. It was probably about 1/4 cup or so. I felt it was a lot for a chicken. She was immediately flipped back upright to try to prevent aspiration. She seemed fine. I thought maybe she drank too much prior to us flipping her around. She calmed down, so we proceeded again to attempt wound care. Well, she vomitted again. Much less this time. We decided to stop & let the wound care go for the day. We usually give her some bread as a treat for her letting us care for her foot. She usually eats the bread rather quickly. Last night, she ate a couple of bites, but seemed rather uninterested. I cleaned the cage & placed her back in so I could do some research to diagnose her. Later (maybe an hour or so) I picked her up to feel her crop, it felt kinda squishy. A small amount of white watery poo just kinda squirted out. I know, gross. No foul smell when I opened her beak for a sniff. I removed her food thinking maybe sour crop?????
Today, I felt her crop, still kinda squishy. Again, when i gently pulled her towards me to check the crop, more white watery poo squirted out. Again, eww. I also noticed watery poo inside the cage, but not white. So, now I'm thinking worms???? I hate to medicate my birds without knowing what to medicate for.

I could really use some help...Any thoughts?

I used a small amount of 7 dust. I did not dust her in the cage. It did not come into contact with any of her food or water.I thought the same thing, but not sure.

You may be right. Some of these wormers and dust people use are quite strong. I would not worm her, if she is weak it could make her must worst. Seems like she is getting a crop issue. I would limit her food to feed for a few days, massage her crop, it may help to move any plug that may be in the way.

Back
Top Bottom