Sick chicken with swollen eye

ChickenLover2020

Hatching
Mar 25, 2020
What Do you think is wrong with my chicken? Her eye is swollen shut, and has a runny nose. She is eating and drinking wonderful. I have Denagard in her water and separated her from my flock she has been sick since 3/25/20 (it is 3/30/20) but the eye didn't swell till 3/27/20. Her comb color is normal and she is acting fine I think it might be Coryza but she doesn't have the symptoms I am giving her Tylan 50 injectable and I will post pics in the morning

What Do you think is wrong with my chicken? Her eye is swollen shut, and has a runny nose. She is eating and drinking wonderful. I have Denagard in her water and separated her from my flock she has been sick since 3/25/20 (it is 3/30/20) but the eye didn't swell till 3/27/20. Her comb color is normal and she is acting fine I think it might be Coryza but she doesn't have the symptoms I am giving her Tylan 50 injectable and I will post pics in the morning

Photos would be good.
Does she have a bad odor?
What makes you think Infectious Coryza compared to a respiratory disease like, say...Mycoplasma?

Denagard only treats Mycoplasma, did she respond to that?
You had Denagard on hand already? Have you had respiratory disease in your flock before?

Have you treated the eye at all? Flushed and removed/pressed out any pus?
What dose and for how long have you given the Tylan50? Giving it orally?

Photos would be good.
Does she have a bad odor?
What makes you think Infectious Coryza compared to a respiratory disease like, say...Mycoplasma?

Denagard only treats Mycoplasma, did she respond to that?
You had Denagard on hand already? Have you had respiratory disease in your flock before?

Have you treated the eye at all? Flushed and removed/pressed out any pus?
What dose and for how long have you given the Tylan50? Giving it orally?
No she doesn't have a bad odor but it is very swollen. It is injectable Tylan 50 I have been giving it to her since 3/26/20 it is as firm as a brick no pus will come out I had Denagard on hand from my baby rescue chick that was very poorly taken care of and had a very bad respiratory infection I nursed him back to health and he is doing amazing. She is not responding to Denagard I will definitely get pics in the morning

It could be MG or coryza, or even a secondary infection of E.coli, but hard to know without testing from a vet or your state poultry lab. Does the face or beak have a bad odor? Coryza can smell bad. Can you get a clear picture with a tablet or phone?

Antibiotics will not make the pus in and around the eye from the sinus infection disappear. Sometimes it has to be squeezed out or removed manually if it has been there for some time. Usually you don’t give both Denagard and Tylan at the same time, since they treat MG. Here are some graphic videos of removing pus:
This one is worse:

It could be MG or coryza, or even a secondary infection of E.coli, but hard to know without testing from a vet or your state poultry lab. Does the face or beak have a bad odor? Coryza can smell bad. Can you get a clear picture with a tablet or phone?

Antibiotics will not make the pus in and around the eye from the sinus infection disappear. Sometimes it has to be squeezed out or removed manually if it has been there for some time. Usually you don’t give both Denagard and Tylan at the same time, since they treat MG. Here are some graphic videos of removing pus:
This one is worse:

Attachments

• 20200330_123943.jpg
    20200330_123943.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200330_123954.jpg
    20200330_123954.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200330_123947.jpg
    20200330_123947.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 6
The swelling went down a ton because I gave her a bigger dose of Tylan 50 I think it is just a bad respiratory infection

What does the inside of the beak look like?
It does look like she's got pus in the eye - you may be able to work some of that out by applying warm compresses.

What dosage of Tylan50 have you been giving?

What does the inside of the beak look like?
It does look like she's got pus in the eye - you may be able to work some of that out by applying warm compresses.

What dosage of Tylan50 have you been giving?
.6 cc it was .5 cc but I gave her a higher dose her beak looks normal I tried warm compresses it didn't work

.6 cc it was .5 cc but I gave her a higher dose her beak looks normal
No mucous/pus or lesions inside the beak?

How much does she weigh?

Medium range dosage for Tylan50 is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
You are under dosing her unless she only weighs 2 pounds. Tylan50 needs to be given 3 times a day if possible.

I would still flush that eye, remove all the pus you can get out and apply an eye ointment or plain neosporin 2-3 times a day as well.
Clear her nostrils the best you can too.

No mucous/pus or lesions inside the beak?

How much does she weigh?

Medium range dosage for Tylan50 is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
You are under dosing her unless she only weighs 2 pounds. Tylan50 needs to be given 3 times a day if possible.

I would still flush that eye, remove all the pus you can get out and apply an eye ointment or plain neosporin 2-3 times a day as well.
Clear her nostrils the best you can too.
No pus in the beak she weighs 3 pounds

Back
Top Bottom