Sick chicken

rodgersfarm03

Hatching
Nov 24, 2016
My 8 month old hen started laying eggs a few weeks ago then last week suddenly stopped. I kept an eye on her then she started isolating herself. I brought her inside and tried to figure out what she was sick with. She is eating and drinking. I checked for mites and her stomach isn't descended. Could she be egg bound?

G’Day from down under rodgersfarm03
frow.gif
Welcome!

A few of the common reasons hens stop laying that are not related to an issue as such are broodiness, moulting and shorter daylight hours. Depending on where you are located, it could just be a seasonal thing.

If she was egg bound she would most likely have a drooping tail and looking very uncomfortable.

Comb colour and poops are sometimes a good indicator that something might be amiss.

Could she have worms?

If you are concerned about her, I recommend posting on the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures Forum, listing as much as you can to assist others with a diagnosis:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Also, you could check out the Maintaining a Healthy Flock Forum which has some great articles on Egg Binding, Moulting etc:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/maintaining-a-healthy-flock

Finally, if you search ‘hen stopped laying’ you will find many threads with hopefully some useful information.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello, glad you have joined us but sorry about the issue.

Isolating herself suggests illness, broodiness or being bullied.

Eating, drinking, pooping are good things.

Do keep a close eye on her and post the issue under emergencies with as much details as you can - total exam and observations.

Hope this is nothing serious.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. It's not unusual for pullets to start laying and then stop - it takes awhile to get all the kinks out of their egg laying machinery . It is however, odd that she isolates herself unless she "thinks" she is broody and sits most of the day on an empty nest. I don't think it sounds like that from your description . What breed is she? Silkies & cochins tend to go broody often even with no eggs around at all.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom