Sick chicken!!

I have never had sour crop.....I can not treat it, only prevent it......

Something sounds not right in your flock...Strange eggs, lack of production and a sick Bird...Sorry, it is time to relook at your management practices and try other things.....

Cheers!

If I were you I would inject food and fluids into her by using eye dropper thing. Check breathing. Maybe too cold/

OK so this is what I think. One. All your other chickens are fine. They just have a common cold brought on by cold weather. Two, Chickens usually don't lay when dramatic change in enviroment. There was snow, you say? I don't think this is sour crop. Chickens really only says diet diet diet to everyone, including me. Not really sure about eggs, but sometimes they happen to me. I would clean out coop and make it dry and clean as possible. I do believe that she is sick, not seriosuly thank goodness. If any fluids come out on the face message me immediately. I will have to look at my school papers for Infectios Bronchitis if that happens. Not sure about poop. Never seen that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked her crop, it feels empty. Her poop is minimal. Her abdomen doesn't feel too squishy, I checked her vent – no impacted egg. Her breath smells sour. I gave her some mash and hope she Would eat it, but she just puts her beak up to it like she wants to but doesn't swallow anything.
Can you take her to a vet?

If her breath smells sour then she most likely has sour crop. There are many different methods of treating sour crop, @TwoCrows article details the best treatment plan(s) I've seen.

The runny nose and trouble swallowing is concerning, check inside her beak to make sure there is no canker or blockage that you can see. Do the best you can, treat her for sour crop if you feel like this may be the cause of her symptoms, but she may also be having some type of internal laying/reproductive issue as well.

Chickens do not get colds, they get respiratory diseases. Since you had "new chickens" and then your original flock began to sneeze as well, then most likely you have one of the many contagious respiratory diseases that poultry can get. Drop in production and noticeably miss-shaped/odd eggs are a couple of long term effects from respiratory disease. This can lead to reproductive disorders and infection.

Even in cold weather make sure your coop has plenty of ventilation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

my chicken has some issues, her poop is yellowish kind of runny sticking to her back end feathers with one eye with dried boogers and feels skinny, but no runny nose at all can any one help/

Back
Top Bottom