Sick chicken

She has been walking around and feeling more active
1f603.png

My 6 month old Delaware whitey just started laying about 2 weeks ago. I noticed her 3 days ago limping, not using her right for. I inspected and didn't see any wound or swelling and she didn't seem in any pain while handled her. I brought her inside to rest it and noticed she had very runny white poop, same consistency and color of milk with nothing in it. I gave her a warm bath and she drank some calcium spiked water and let her rest.
Today she is weak in both her legs and won't stand at all she keeps her toes and legs curled under her. She still has milky white poop however I've been finding some broken up food here and there. She is drinking and eating. Also today started panting a lot. I don't know what else to do for her. Please help she is my 4 year olds favorite!

My 6 month old Delaware whitey just started laying about 2 weeks ago. I noticed her 3 days ago limping, not using her right for. I inspected and didn't see any wound or swelling and she didn't seem in any pain while handled her. I brought her inside to rest it and noticed she had very runny white poop, same consistency and color of milk with nothing in it. I gave her a warm bath and she drank some calcium spiked water and let her rest.
Today she is weak in both her legs and won't stand at all she keeps her toes and legs curled under her. She still has milky white poop however I've been finding some broken up food here and there. She is drinking and eating. Also today started panting a lot. I don't http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/know what else to do for her. Please help she is my 4 year olds favorite!

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
this lady has very good avise foraingfor older chkens
Give supportive care for an adult chicken with diarrhea

The following are do-it-yourself tips for dealing with adult chicken diarrhea while you’re waiting for a diagnosis (or if you’re unable to get one). You’ll know within a week if your efforts are paying off. If the bird continues to decline despite your care, something sinister is going on; consider euthanasia and a postmortem.
  • If a small proportion of the flock is affected, isolate the sick birds in a hospital pen and provide good nursing care. Birds with dirty vents may need to be housed individually in separate cages, because other birds like to peck at the raw area. If most of the flock is affected, leave the flock where it is and treat the whole flock.
  • Check the flock’s environment. Is it clean and comfortable? Take steps to cool heat-stressed birds or dry out a wet pen. Clean waterers and provide fresh, clean water. Examine the diet. Did you feed something new? Check for moldy or spoiled feed. If you have any suspicions about the feed, change it, preferably to a fresh batch of a well-known brand of commercial layer feed.
  • Be on the lookout for vent prolapse. If you see pink tissue protruding from the vent, read on for information about blowouts, which can be the cause or the result of diarrhea/dirty vents.
  • Add 1-1/ tsp of BRAGG'S APLE CIDER vinegar to each gallon of drinking water. Vinegar is a “Why not?” remedy. Some evidence suggests that organic acids like vinegar may improve gut health in poultry, and vinegar won’t hurt if you give it at the recommended dose. Any kind of vinegar will do, although you probably won’t want to use your $50 bottle of artisan balsamic. Chickens don’t seem to notice it at this recommended dose.
  • Use a probiotic medication or offer yogurt. Most feed stores sell probiotics that you can add to feed or water. The organisms in yogurt and probiotics compete with the bad bugs, and sometimes the good bugs win.(I recommend my WET MAH PROBITIC RECIPE.
Tetracycline medications (such as oxytetracycline, chlortetracycline) are commonly used in drinking water or feed to successfully treat diarrhea in livestock, including chickens. As a result of that common use, tetracycline medications just as frequently fail to cure diarrhea because bacteria are now often resistant to the drug.
If you’re a U.S. flock keeper, and you want to use an antibiotic for laying hens, you need to get a prescription and an egg discard time from a veterinarian if you want to stay on the right side of the law. An egg discard time is the number of days you need to throw out potentially contaminated eggs after you medicate a hen.

GLENDA HEYWOOD
May I straighten out some of her advise needs this added to it
(1) only the APPLE CISER VINGAR BY BRAGG'S HAS THE "MOTHER "IN THE BOTTOM OFTHE JAR
As processed ACV is not good for chickens nothing in it will help chickens body..

(2).I recommend my WET MASH PROBITIC RECIPE.
1cup dry mash or pellets
2 cps of milk any kind
1/ cup plain non flavored yougart
1-1/2 tsp of Braggs Apple Cider vinegar.
let soak over night.
then in morning add more milk if dry
but only a small amount, not soupy

just make enough for 2 tbsp. per chicken

Feed 5 times a week till the hens a etter
hen fed once a week

Last edited:
I have regularly given them the "mothers" acv since i got them, should i give her like a stronger dose? I will definitely try out your recipe. What do you think of the lack of leg movement? She was vaccinated for mareks so I'm hopeful its not that. What do you think could cause her diarrhea? Also should I be concerned that she hadn't layed an egg since all this?

I have regularly given them the "mothers" acv since i got them, should i give her like a stronger dose? I will definitely try out your recipe. What do you think of the lack of leg movement? She was vaccinated for mareks so I'm hopeful its not that. What do you think could cause her diarrhea? Also should I be concerned that she hadn't layed an egg since all this?

Well remember
If the chicken is kept separate here is what to do for 1 chicken
take 2 bsp of dry mash
add 4 tbsp. of milk
1/4 cup of plain yoguart
1 ts of Baggs Apple Cider vinegar
mix completely before feeing.
I too dry ad anther tbsp. of milk
but do not add to much as chickens do not like sop as the feed sticks to their beak then.

I am not sure why the diarrhea was cause.
it must mean her gut was infected with something.
Yes if it is Marek'
her eyes will be effected and show a discoloration in the eye.
check her eyes over for that.
I does sound like marek's to me
Older chickens do get that
Also If mareks and she is paralyzed, she could not lay an egg any way.
My advise take her to a vet and get her put to sleep.
I you do not have any one that will do that for you.

Last edited:

Can you post a video of her?

Regarding Mareks... There are four forms, neural (nerves), visceral (organs), cutaneous (skin), optic (eyes). They can have one or more of the four. Not all Mareks birds will have funny looking eyes, nor will all birds show lameness.

I did make your recipe its in the fridge now probably try to give it to her tonight. She was vaccinated when I bought her as a chick. She is only 6 months old, and I wouldnt say her legs are paralyzed I've seen her make small movements especially in her toes, and her eyes have normal coloration and movement.

Back
Top Bottom