Sick Chicken

crazyducklady23

Chirping
Aug 17, 2015
Hello,

I have a Rhode Island Red Chicken that I got from an auction about 5 months ago. She has been doing really good no problems. This weekend I noticed though that her one eye was completely swollen and has puss coming out of it. I thought maybe another chicken got her in the eye somehow so I wiped it out and put some eye cleaner/ointment into it that I got from Tractor Supply. I went to check on her the next day and the other eye is doing it now, not as bad as the other one but this one I notice has a little bubble in the corner of it. I also noticed that she leaves her mouth open and when she drinks water there is drool that comes out of it. Where her beak connects to her face there are also two large bumps it looks like it is all swollen. I have her separated into a pen with some food and water so that the other chickens don't bother her. Does anyone know what this could be so I can treat it better?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a Rhode Island Red Chicken that I got from an auction about 5 months ago. She has been doing really good no problems. This weekend I noticed though that her one eye was completely swollen and has puss coming out of it. I thought maybe another chicken got her in the eye somehow so I wiped it out and put some eye cleaner/ointment into it that I got from Tractor Supply. I went to check on her the next day and the other eye is doing it now, not as bad as the other one but this one I notice has a little bubble in the corner of it. I also noticed that she leaves her mouth open and when she drinks water there is drool that comes out of it. Where her beak connects to her face there are also two large bumps it looks like it is all swollen. I have her separated into a pen with some food and water so that the other chickens don't bother her. Does anyone know what this could be so I can treat it better?

Thanks!
There is some experts on here that will tell you what to do----I have had some that I seen this starting early on and I started them on tylan50 and it cleared up in a few days. Before I started using the tylan the eye would swell up bad and hunks of pus could be removed from the swollen eyes. I was introduced to tylan50 a few years back and its been great on most sick birds. I use it Oral.

Have you added any other birds more recently? It sounds like she has a respiratory disease which causes sinus infection, and that causes the puss and swelling in and around the eyes. Mycoplasma (MG) and coryza are 2 that will do that, and coryza will also cause a very bad odor around the face. You will want to express any puss from the eyes, clean them out with QTips, cotton, or even tweezers. If you look in the roof of her beak, you may also see puss in there from the sinus, and you can try to push it out as well. Others have more experience with this, especially Casportpony who has pictures and threads. Tylan 50 injectable is about the best thing you can get in a feed store without a vet prescription, and the oral or injectable dosage is 0.5-0.8 ml per every 2.5 pounds of weight twice a day for 5 days. Give some probiotics or a small amount of plain yogurt during and after Tylan. Vets have more powerful drugs which treat a wider variety of bacteria. Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store applied twice a day to both eyes after removing the pus may also help. Here is some reading about those 2 diseases in this list of common diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom