Sick chicken

Dippy-eggs

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
A couple of evenings ago I noticed my bluebell hybrid was not quite looking herself, walking slowly
Not really eating

Yesterday she had a lot of diarrhoea which had continued, she did not lay an egg

This morning she is still not good and just staying in the coop, she layed two shell-less eggs somewhere between last night and this morning (I guess one was from yesterday..)

I only have 5 chicken and they are free range, have lots of space, untill now they have all seemed very healthy
we have never had a soft shell issue before, they have eggs shell to eat if they want it

any ideas on what could be wrong

many thanks

RumneyRoost

Songster
Jul 24, 2018
Ontario
There are a few things that could be causing it. Diet, stress, disease, parasites, etc.

The first thing I would do is get some calcium into her. Crush up a tums or calcium supplement and get her to eat it. When I had an egg bound hen I used a human calcium + D3 supplement.

It’s possible that the diet is lacking, or she has issues storing calcium.
It’s possible that some sort of stress caused a hiccup.
It’s possible that she has worms or parasites.
It’s possible that she has an infection, virus, or reproductive disease like cancer.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I think she is having some reproductive issue. How old is she? I agree about offering some extra calcium or Tums and a little cooked egg for D3 for several days to see if her eggshells improve. This could be from salpingitis or impacted oviduct, if it is not a calcium deficiency. They feel really weak and sick when they lay these shell-less eggs, and shell-less eggs are hard for them to pass. Sometimes you might see yolks, albumen, or membranes being passed. Some people have stopped their chickens from laying with hormone implants, but a vet would need to be involved and the medicine is rather pricey.

Top Bottom