Sick chicken

SLL71

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
Hello guys I am new to this page. I have had chickens for 2 years and never had a problem. I noticed one of my Barron chickens yesterday was standing by her self and lethargic also had a messy butt. I took her in and soaked her in Epson salt bath for 30 min and cleaned her butt. She isn’t eating or drinking from what I can tell. Help I’m so sad to see her not feeling normal.

Is she 2 years old or older? Has she been laying eggs recently? You can insert a clean finger inside her vent an inch or two to feel for a stuck egg. Can you check her lower belly between her legs for any swelling or enlargement? Check her crop as well, to see if it is empty, full, puffy, doughy, or hard. I would separate her and offer some scrambled egg bits, and wet a small amount of her feed in a small bowl to see if she will eat that. Reproductive disorders such as salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites are common in hens over 2. Have you wormed your chickens lately?

she would be just under 2. I am going to bring her in and give this food you recommend and see if she is drinking.

she is very lethargic and wont eat or drink checked her crop its empty. checked her vent didn't feel any eggs. she seems swollen between her legs but it isn't hard. I wormed my chickens about 2 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom