Sick Chicken

kellie crump

Hatching
Sep 19, 2020
I have a chicken that has diarrhea, loss of feathers, and kind of wobbles when she walks. The other chickens don't want her to sleep with them, so she has her own set up. I have tried some powder I bought at Tractor supply to mix with her food and put on her body. I have put stuff in her water to help with dehydration. I have been using food that says it is medicated. The vet here does not see chickens. I have some spectinomycin liquid and some noromycin 300 la liquid (both for swine) here at the house. I don't want to give her a shot, I had rather do something by mouth. She has been in this shape for a long time. Please help me get her well.

"A long time" is about how long? Weeks? Months? A year? In trying to guess what's making a chicken sick, it's important to know when it began.

For example, a chicken will usually die within a week or so if it's an untreated bacterial infection. A chicken can live a year with a chronic infection of the reproductive system or an avian virus.

Information on the chicken's actions prior to becoming sick will offer clues. Laying history will offer clues. Age often is a factor.

You need to be specific with more information in order for us to help.

Keep her separated from the flock. Do her eyes look normal? What kind of powder? Pictures of her and her poop?
She is separated. Yes her eyes look normal.
Yes, what powder were you using on food and her body, and what “stuff” was added to the water?
hydro hen 3 in 1 for water.
Red lake earth diaomatceous in food and on body.

"A long time" is about how long? Weeks? Months? A year? In trying to guess what's making a chicken sick, it's important to know when it began.

For example, a chicken will usually die within a week or so if it's an untreated bacterial infection. A chicken can live a year with a chronic infection of the reproductive system or an avian virus.

Information on the chicken's actions prior to becoming sick will offer clues. Laying history will offer clues. Age often is a factor.

You need to be specific with more information in order for us to help.
She is 5 years old. She has been sick for 8 months. Diarrhea improves and then comes back. Feathers seem to get a little better and then it gets back worse. Laying has always been ok. Like once every day or so.

Yes, what powder were you using on food and her body, and what “stuff” was added to the water?
How old is she? Does she lay eggs still? Is she eating and drinking well? Have you wormed her recently?
She lays eggs fine. She is eating and drinking fine. I have not wormed her. I don't know what to use. I used that red lake earth in her food and on her body. Not sure if that is what I should use for wormer. I went to tractor supply and that is what they told me to use along with the food that said medicated.

I would think about worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, or take in some of her droppings to a vet for a fecal float. At her age, if she wasn’t laying, I would wonder if she might be suffering from a reproductive infection or disorder. Crop disorders (sour or impacted crop) and vent fleet are also common in some hens.

Back
Top Bottom