Sick Chicken

I think starting her on the Tylan will help her hold on. Are you able to get any fluids into her? If she hasn't had fluids for a while, her chemistry is going to be failing and the antibiotic won't be able to work. If you can, mix up some warm sugar water and see if she will drink it. If you have Jello, mix a little of that into the water to make it more likely she will drink. Add a tiny pinch of salt and baking soda to it as well.

If you need to force the fluid down her with an oral syringe, here's how to do it safely. You can avoid the airway in the ccenter of the throat by directing the syringe just under the right side of the tongue. Wrap her snugly in a towel to confine wings and feet to make it easier for yourself.

View attachment 2423010
Just got another dose of Tylan
I think starting her on the Tylan will help her hold on. Are you able to get any fluids into her? If she hasn't had fluids for a while, her chemistry is going to be failing and the antibiotic won't be able to work. If you can, mix up some warm sugar water and see if she will drink it. If you have Jello, mix a little of that into the water to make it more likely she will drink. Add a tiny pinch of salt and baking soda to it as well.

If you need to force the fluid down her with an oral syringe, here's how to do it safely. You can avoid the airway in the ccenter of the throat by directing the syringe just under the right side of the tongue. Wrap her snugly in a towel to confine wings and feet to make it easier for yourself.

View attachment 2423010

Just got another dose of Tylan down her with your guidance of the right side of her mouth, along with the electrolytes you suggested. Newest poop...

Attachments

• E2D26A88-77EE-43C0-817F-2E577860B79F.jpeg
    E2D26A88-77EE-43C0-817F-2E577860B79F.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 7A637DDA-EA10-4510-ADF6-5F1DA22DBB68.jpeg
    7A637DDA-EA10-4510-ADF6-5F1DA22DBB68.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 5
  • 3C0F0BA7-2B0D-4A04-9836-722D70EFE68A.jpeg
    3C0F0BA7-2B0D-4A04-9836-722D70EFE68A.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 4
Update? How is our patient? I am hoping the lack of update doesn't mean we lost her.
Thank you for asking, I was just about. She made it through the night! She is still alternating between alert and sleeping, but we got another dose of Tylan down her and the vitamin supplements. What’s a bit discouraging is, I paid an arm and a leg for overnight shipping on the Aqua Mox yesterday, and it still won’t be here until tomorrow (possibly evening). Hoping we can keep her going until then.

Count it as a big win that she made it through the night. She isn't going to let us down now. The Tylan is helping her to hold on. Keep up what you're doing, and continue to tempt her with food. Try fruit cocktail, grated carrot, chopped up canned beets, egg, yogurt, even chicken soup including the meat! If she will agree to eat something, it will fortify her for the fight ahead of her.

Back
Top Bottom