Sick chicken

Wormlady28

Chirping
Mar 9, 2018
Yesterday morning I found my chicken falling over and couldn't keep her head up as if she was about to die. It keep going back as if she was looking towards the ceiling. I figured it was because their water ran out. I started giving her water with a syringe and within an hour or two looked better but still very thin and not herself. She has been having watery poo and eats here and there but not much. I keep giving her water because I haven't seen her drink with electrolytes on her own. Idk why she is my girl who got thin and lethargic like this. Was it because she was dehydrated?? I need help. She is still acting tired and puffed up but standing on her own and eating small amounts here and there. I'm wondering if she will make it? It's my Australorp.

Hi there. That sounds like wry neck, which can be caused by a number of things. There are specific nutrients that can help with wry neck. Vitamin E, I think?

Where does this girl fall in the pecking order? If you offer her a warm, wet mash from her feed, will she take it?

Hi there. That sounds like wry neck, which can be caused by a number of things. There are specific nutrients that can help with wry neck. Vitamin E, I think?

Where does this girl fall in the pecking order? If you offer her a warm, wet mash from her feed, will she take it?
She passed away 😢. I was giving her water with vitamins but she was just too thin... breaks my heart! Thank you for replying.

She passed away 😢. I was giving her water with vitamins but she was just too thin... breaks my heart! Thank you for replying.
I’m so sorry. If you are interested in learning what happened, you could send her in for necropsy. Her body would need to be chilled, not frozen. I have done this with birds I’ve lost and learned from it, which in turn has helped the rest of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom