Sick Chicken

May 21, 2021
Hi! I have a flock of 23 chickens and 4 ducks. Recently I’ve that one of my chickens feel ill. I live in Pittsburgh and we are going through a storm with cold weather. I am not sure if it the cold weather as all of my other chickens are fine. She stopped laying eggs, sleeps/lays down a lot of the time. She is eating but not much. Her eyes are closed a lot of the time and she is pretty skinny. I put some mealworms for her (which she loves) and she didn’t eat any. I’m worried she may die on me. I have given her electrolyte water. The whole flock is on worm Preventer. I’m not sure what this may be so I am open to any suggestions. Thank you!
69B08D6A-5078-41FF-B6B4-131D7FDE4C92.jpeg
10495F01-AFBA-4BC4-A5A5-842BD6AE7CF7.jpeg
CB71F5A0-DF99-4EFE-AC96-C17E77864C18.jpeg

How old is she? Can you feel of her crop in the right upper chest and tell us if it is empty and flat, or full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Feel it again early in the morning before she eats or drinks. What do her poops look like? What do you feed her? Reproductive disorders or cancer can be common in hens, and crop problems can cause issues that would affect the weight as well. I would offer some wet chicken feed, a bit of plain yogurt for probiotics, and scrambled egg bits to peck. Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml given orally once a day for a few days might help. Are her toes curling under or is she having trouble walking? If so, get Poultry Cell instead.

How old is she? Can you feel of her crop in the right upper chest and tell us if it is empty and flat, or full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Feel it again early in the morning before she eats or drinks. What do her poops look like? What do you feed her? Reproductive disorders or cancer can be common in hens, and crop problems can cause issues that would affect the weight as well. I would offer some wet chicken feed, a bit of plain yogurt for probiotics, and scrambled egg bits to peck. Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml given orally once a day for a few days might help. Are her toes curling under or is she having trouble walking? If so, get Poultry Cell instead.
She is less than a year old, around 9 months. I can feel her crop and she has a bit of food, I fed her some rice and she ate it with pleasure and drank lots of water. Her crop was full of water so I a limiting her water intake. We feed our chickens scratch and we are adding mealworms as a everyday treat. They also get calcium mixed into the feed. Her toes aren’t curling so the NutriDrench may help. Thank you very very much! :)

She is less than a year old, around 9 months. I can feel her crop and she has a bit of food, I fed her some rice and she ate it with pleasure and drank lots of water. Her crop was full of water so I a limiting her water intake. We feed our chickens scratch and we are adding mealworms as a everyday treat. They also get calcium mixed into the feed. Her toes aren’t curling so the NutriDrench may help. Thank you very very much! :)
Also her poops are very watery. Which is unusual for my chickens

I would not limit her access to water. Check the crop in the morning. Poops can be watery when drinking a lot of water, but she may need the water if her crop is not emptying well. Can you start feeding a layer or all flock feed? Scratch does not have enough protein or any of the balanced nutrients of a feed.

I have given her electrolyte water. The whole flock is on worm Preventer.

drank lots of water. Her crop was full of water so I a limiting her water intake. We feed our chickens scratch and we are adding mealworms as a everyday treat. They also get calcium mixed into the feed.
What is "worm preventer"?

I agree, I would not withhold water during waking hours, provide nutritionally balance poultry feed during waking hours as well. Re-check her crop first thing in the morning.

What is "worm preventer"?

I agree, I would not withhold water during waking hours, provide nutritionally balance poultry feed during waking hours as well. Re-check her crop first thing in the morning.
I forgot the name of it but it’s this (picture below) you give it one a week every month.
Thank you!!!

Attachments

• B2B44D60-4BA3-4E11-A4EA-A6A3E10DF666.jpeg
    B2B44D60-4BA3-4E11-A4EA-A6A3E10DF666.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 2
I would not limit her access to water. Check the crop in the morning. Poops can be watery when drinking a lot of water, but she may need the water if her crop is not emptying well. Can you start feeding a layer or all flock feed? Scratch does not have enough protein or any of the balanced nutrients of a feed.
I am going to start transitioning them into layer feed, within the week. Thank you so so much!

Back
Top Bottom