Sick Chicken

Hopefully she will improve with getting hydrated and eating. I would still check her crop in the morning.

Just for curiosity. Read the packaging info on this product and tell me if it claims to be a dewormer or a worm preventer.
I forgot the name of it but it’s this (picture below) you give it one a week every month.
Thank you!!!

Hopefully she will improve with getting hydrated and eating. I would still check her crop in the morning.

Just for curiosity. Read the packaging info on this product and tell me if it claims to be a dewormer or a worm preventer.
Ok, so it is not a worm preventer it is a supplement and it helps with digestive support.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 2
We started adding this to there diet about 2 weeks ago.View attachment 2984174
They should have been on a complete feed from the beginning, a starter/grower when they were young and transitioned to the layer feed. Scratch and mealworms should only be given occasionally in small amounts. I don't feed my chickens scratch at all.

Do they have access to crushed oyster shell and grit (crushed granite)?

Ok, so it is not a worm preventer it is a supplement and it helps with digestive support.

We started adding this to there diet about 2 weeks ago.View attachment 2984174
Right. I just wanted you to take a closer look at the product and understand what it is and that it's not a dewormer or preventer. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the product. Not sure why a lot of folks think it is a dewormer, your definitely not the first and won't be the last.

I would feed the layer pellets free choice daily. Limit the scratch to a treat a couple of times a week. Provide oyster shell and grit (crushed granite) free choice separately, the birds will pick up a few pieces here and there as they need it.

For your pullet that is not well - DO check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Offer supportive care by giving electrolytes or vitamins for a few days (make fresh plain water available too) or you can just direct dose her with vitamins like Poultry Cell at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. See that she's eating the layer pellets, you can make them into a mash if you wish, bits of scrambled egg may be enticing as well.
If she's still with the flock, you can pull her aside for a few minutes several times a day to administer extra care.

Hopefully with changing up and giving a nutritionally balanced poultry feed, she will improve.

They should have been on a complete feed from the beginning, a starter/grower when they were young and transitioned to the layer feed. Scratch and mealworms should only be given occasionally in small amounts. I don't feed my chickens scratch at all.

Do they have access to crushed oyster shell and grit (crushed granite)?
They have crushed oysters shells. And We save every egg shell we use, crush them up and feed them to the flock. I have talked with a chicken owner who lives near me and they have told me that if I want all organic chickens it is best to just feed corn or scratch. I started adding the layer as I thought they weren’t getting enough nutrients from just the scratch.

I have talked with a chicken owner who lives near me and they have told me that if I want all organic chickens it is best to just feed corn or scratch.
What do they feed their flock? Do they supplement, do they free range...how do they manage their flock.

Corn and scratch is corn+corn+seeds/fillers. Usually the "average" corn and/or scratch is around 8% protein. This in and of itself is too low for productive birds. 16% layer feed is complete and meant to feed as the only thing really, anytime you add/offer extras like scratch it will dilute the protein content, so this is why most loosely follow treats should only be 10% of diet. Scratch is considered a treat in a backyard flock setting. Of course there's variables to consider as well, but that's the basics.

I'm am not a nutritionist nor expert in anything. But @U_Stormcrow can likely point you to the science be the nutrition is you're interested.

What do they feed their flock? Do they supplement, do they free range...how do they manage their flock.

Corn and scratch is corn+corn+seeds/fillers. Usually the "average" corn and/or scratch is around 8% protein. This in and of itself is too low for productive birds. 16% layer feed is complete and meant to feed as the only thing really, anytime you add/offer extras like scratch it will dilute the protein content, so this is why most loosely follow treats should only be 10% of diet. Scratch is considered a treat in a backyard flock setting. Of course there's variables to consider as well, but that's the basics.

I'm am not a nutritionist nor expert in anything. But @U_Stormcrow can likely point you to the science be the nutrition is you're interested.
They have a flock of about 80 chickens and have 3 acres of land for them. They are free range every day. Also they feed them lots of bread. They have had chickens for most of there life and they chickens are thriving. I am going to look at the user you provided, this is quite interesting.

They have crushed oysters shells. And We save every egg shell we use, crush them up and feed them to the flock. I have talked with a chicken owner who lives near me and they have told me that if I want all organic chickens it is best to just feed corn or scratch. I started adding the layer as I thought they weren’t getting enough nutrients from just the scratch.
Good for you. Your chickens should be feeling much better once you switch to the layer pellets as the main feed. Remember that oyster shell is not the same thing as grit. The oyster shell is for calcium and the grit is to help with digestion. @Wyorp Rock has given you excellent advice. I hope your hen gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom