Sick chicken?

Caityvoss

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
I noticed one of my hens has been walking with her tail down and she just kinda lays around, I have them in a run and when I open the run to the backyard they usually are happy and exploring but she just kinda sits outside of it not doing much… I know she has to be sick I just don’t know what to do about it

My Easter egger started acting this way. Yesterday she seemed ok. Last night she slept in the run. Today she's walking slow and now she's laying in the run under the plank. The others are all out laying under the RV keeping cool. She's drank but I've not noticed her eating much. I've fed her separately she ate a little. I fed her medicated chick feed. She has a poopy butt. Any advice?

My Easter egger started acting this way. Yesterday she seemed ok. Last night she slept in the run. Today she's walking slow and now she's laying in the run under the plank. The others are all out laying under the RV keeping cool. She's drank but I've not noticed her eating much. I've fed her separately she ate a little. I fed her medicated chick feed. She has a poopy butt. Any advice?
Do you have a thread about her?

Without more info it would be hard to know where to start.
If she's of laying age, then check for an egg. See if her crop is emptying and look her over for lice/mites.
Do make sure she's drinking well and offer her some wet feed.
Medicated feed (Chick Starter) in the US usually contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. While the feed won't hurt her, it likely will not treat anything either.

If she's of laying age, then check for an egg. See if her crop is emptying and look her over for lice/mites.
Medicated feed (Chick Starter) in the US usually contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. While the feed won't hurt her, it likely will not treat anything either.
I thought I posted a thread about her. She's drinking water. She's eating a little. I bought Corid but I'm feeding her medicated starter feed. Her poop looks like watery milk. I thought she might be egg bound so I just gave her an Epsom salt bath. I'm making her herbal oatmeal as I type this.

I thought I posted a thread about her. She's drinking water. She's eating a little. I bought Corid but I'm feeding her medicated starter feed. Her poop looks like watery milk. I thought she might be egg bound so I just gave her an Epsom salt bath. I'm making her herbal oatmeal as I type this.
I don't see a thread about her.

Not sure what herbal oatmeal is or what it's supposed to do?
I'd feed her her normal nutritionally balanced feed.
Check her crop, look for lice/mites.
Get a fecal float to see if she has worms.
Corid is a Coccidiostat. It won't hurt her, but it will only treat Coccidiosis.

I don't see a thread about her.

Not sure what herbal oatmeal is or what it's supposed to do?
I'd feed her her normal nutritionally balanced feed.
Check her crop, look for lice/mites.
Get a fecal float to see if she has worms.
Corid is a Coccidiostat. It won't hurt her, but it will only treat Coccidiosis.
I thought that was what it was at first. No vet around taking chickens, to do a fecal float. But I've been watching how to do it. I not sure if she was hot or egg bound. But she's eating the oatmeal and seems more alert today. Everyone else seems fine. I gave her an Epsom salt bath, her crop is soft and small. She's the lowest in the pecking order I thought maybe she got hurt but I didn't see any wounds. She's eating and drinking. She drank a lot yesterday, today she's not drinking as much but I'm giving her fresh water every couple of hours and have her separated from the rest of the flock.

I thought that was what it was at first. No vet around taking chickens, to do a fecal float. But I've been watching how to do it. I not sure if she was hot or egg bound. But she's eating the oatmeal and seems more alert today. Everyone else seems fine. I gave her an Epsom salt bath, her crop is soft and small. She's the lowest in the pecking order I thought maybe she got hurt but I didn't see any wounds. She's eating and drinking. She drank a lot yesterday, today she's not drinking as much but I'm giving her fresh water every couple of hours and have her separated from the rest of the flock.
She has water belly. And I'm grieving.

I noticed one of my hens has been walking with her tail down and she just kinda lays around, I have them in a run and when I open the run to the backyard they usually are happy and exploring but she just kinda sits outside of it not doing much… I know she has to be sick I just don’t know what to do about it
How did ur bird do?

Back
Top Bottom