Sick chicken

june1684

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
I three chickens in my back yard. They have a coop and small run, and when I am home they are loose in the fenced back yard. Tonight when I’m getting ready to put them up I cannot find one. It’s in the coop by itself and has some thick drool… what can I do?

It could be a crop disorder such as yeast infection or a respiratory disease where bacteria is causing mucous buildup.

You might be able to tell which one by ruling one out, leaving the other as the default diagnosis. Check the crop of the drooler first thing in the morning before any of the chickens start filling their crops with food and water. If the crop is full and the chicken has not yet eaten or drunk, then a crop issue is likely.

Once you determine that, come back and we'll talk about what to do next.

I three chickens in my back yard. They have a coop and small run, and when I am home they are loose in the fenced back yard. Tonight when I’m getting ready to put them up I cannot find one. It’s in the coop by itself and has some thick drool… what can I do?
In addition to the advice from @azygous, due to the drooling chicken separating itself from the flock, you might consider separating it just incase it turns out to be something more drastic than a crop issue like cholera, roundworm or Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom