Sick chicken

BethKimco

Songster
Sep 27, 2020
My hen betty hurt her leg and cant walk so she is in the house since 1.2. Then I noticed she started wheezing and having a hard time breathing I’ve been doing everything apple cider vinegar in the water poultry drench. Today I gave her an Epson salt bath and then when I took her out, she pooped some thing that looked like worms. I’m surprised she made it through the night last night, coughing and wheezing. She has been eating some. Not sure what to do for her or if I should just put her out of her misery. Please any suggestions would be helpful.

Attachments

• A266FD40-EAE7-4CB6-BA4F-B161340547D1.jpeg
    A266FD40-EAE7-4CB6-BA4F-B161340547D1.jpeg
    621.6 KB · Views: 12
  • F970EFD9-7095-41F1-AA6C-F118336BA7BE.jpeg
    F970EFD9-7095-41F1-AA6C-F118336BA7BE.jpeg
    878.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 7EEE31EC-67A7-46E4-A8D1-FBDA7E0C230A.jpeg
    7EEE31EC-67A7-46E4-A8D1-FBDA7E0C230A.jpeg
    796.3 KB · Views: 5
How old is she? Are you sure she was injured or did you just suddenly notice she wasn't walking? Currently laying eggs? What's her normal diet?

The poop doesn't look wormy to me, just skinny and slimy which is a sign of inflammation in the intestines. Have you checked her crop to make sure it's working normally?

How old is she? Are you sure she was injured or did you just suddenly notice she wasn't walking? Currently laying eggs? What's her normal diet?

The poop doesn't look wormy to me, just skinny and slimy which is a sign of inflammation in the intestines. Have you checked her crop to make sure it's working normally?
Yes she injured her leg a month ago and was limping. Cant put any pressure on her leg. Not laying eggs. She finished a molt before she hurt her leg. Normally eats layer pellet and treats. She has been eating just less. She has been in a dog cage in the house.

Do you know how her leg was injured? Can she uncurl her toes? Has it gotten better or worse since she's been inside? The more info you can give the more likely someone can give you helpful advice...

Have you checked her mouth and throat for anything unusual? And can you check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks to make sure it is flat and empty

A month is a long time to be in the house and away from the flock... Do you ever take her out to sit in the yard and see the others for a bit?

My hen betty hurt her leg and cant walk so she is in the house since 1.2. Then I noticed she started wheezing and having a hard time breathing I’ve been doing everything apple cider vinegar in the water poultry drench. Today I gave her an Epson salt bath and then when I took her out, she pooped some thing that looked like worms. I’m surprised she made it through the night last night, coughing and wheezing. She has been eating some. Not sure what to do for her or if I should just put her out of her misery. Please any suggestions would be helpful.
What do you feed including treats?

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Can she eat o.k.? I notice her beak is chipped. It may be fine that way, but sometimes a beak may need to be gently filed and smoothed over time when it's been chipped like that.

A video of her breathing/what she sounds like may be helpful.
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

The poop is thin, but I don't see worms in it. Could be she's having reproductive issues or something else is going on.

Do you know how her leg was injured? Can she uncurl her toes? Has it gotten better or worse since she's been inside? The more info you can give the more likely someone can give you helpful advice...

Have you checked her mouth and throat for anything unusual? And can you check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks to make sure it is flat and empty

A month is a long time to be in the house and away from the flock... Do you ever take her out to sit in the yard and see the others for a u

Hi. Thanks so much for trying to help. She passed sometime during the night. She was progressively getting worse and throwing up and shaking last night before bed and wheezing really bad. Whatever she had Im glad she is no longer suffering. Just always sad to lose one.

Back
Top Bottom