Sick chicken

Krash520

Hatching
Aug 17, 2023
Hi! My 20 week old sapphire gem started acting unusual today. She was brought inside a week ago for a limp that resolved and went back outside with the flock. Today, I noticed she was laying around a lot. She can’t stand up now. She has her wings out as she’s lying down and keeps blinking and seems to completely zone out. This all went downhill within an hour. Any ideas on what I can do? She is back inside now with food and vitamins in her water.

Attachments

• IMG_9493.jpeg
    IMG_9493.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9492.jpeg
    IMG_9492.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9497.png
    IMG_9497.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC. Does she move her legs or curl her toes around your finger if you touch her? Do you have any roosters who might have hurt her? I would insert a clean finger into vent to check for a stuck egg? Try to get her drinking some fluids with electrolytes and offer some cooked egg or mushy wet feed. Sugar water is fine too, 1 tsp per cup.

Welcome to BYC. Does she move her legs or curl her toes around your finger if you touch her? Do you have any roosters who might have hurt her? I would insert a clean finger into vent to check for a stuck egg? Try to get her drinking some fluids with electrolytes and offer some cooked egg or mushy wet feed. Sugar water is fine too, 1 tsp per cup.
Thanks! She does move them and curl her toes just more so on the left than the right. Vent is clear, soaked her in epsom salt and warm water and she perked up. Gave her vitamin water. She’s not standing but she’s more alert than she was an hour ago. Should I add sugar to the vitamin water?

I'd keep working on getting her hydrated.

She may be having troubles with an egg, so I'd get some extra Calcium into her. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the pill directly into her beak and let her swallow.

1692331879304.png

Back
Top Bottom