1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by intownfarm, Apr 18, 2007.

1. intownfarm

intownfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Is there a way to force liquids? I have a very sick chicken and I'm not sure what to do with her. She is very skinny and will only move if forced. Any ideas???

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We could use more info. See the stickied post at the top of this forum for a guideline for what info to include.

3. intownfarm

intownfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    ) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Unknown age (fully grown for at least a year), big black mutt chicken & weight is almost nothing - she is feathers & bones when I pick her up

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Lethagy & not eating

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Unknown

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Not today

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Unknown
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Put it in the shade away from other chickens & put food in front of it which was untouched

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would like to self treat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by