Sick chicken?

Jtorrey97

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 17, 2011
It was getting cold so i moved my 2 red star hens in a smaller coop that would be warmer, it had wire floors. about a day or so after i put them in one seemed skinnier, she was spacey and weaker it was getting worse. i figured she was cold so i moved her inside. she stopped getting worse and she is walking a bit and standing up all of the time, she is drinking a lot of water, and eats a bit, she only seems to want to eat the food off of the ground, she was also pecking at her poop. both of the hens have been vaccinated for mareks, also i don't want them to get lonely any ideas??

Please, use the Search here on BYC, upper right hand side of the page... type in wire flooring and see the list that comes up.. there are discussions on this topic.

Here is one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2495

Wire flooring is not recommended.

How old are the chickens? How many? Could there be any other issues? Chickens stress out fairly easily, and I gather they don't like changes in their surroundings or routine, so.. it may be that they could adjust over a little time to the change. But, I am gathering that the wire floor has to go. Can you refloor this new coop with a solid floor and you might also search what to put on that floor... many suggest sand, but I think that is for a dirt floor... or pine shavings?

I don't know much about this, hope you find more info via the search. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom