Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shari H, Nov 23, 2012.

1. shari H

shari H New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanksgiving morning, I woke up to find my 1 top hat chicken to be dragging its neck on the ground and not being able to walk really well. I brought it inside and I kept seeing it struggle to pick up its neck. The chicken slept the rest of the day not drinking or eating. The next day I saw her getting a little better and starting to pick her neck up a little more but mostly sleeps. Has anybody encountered this problem? Does anyone know know cure for this?

thanks,shari

2. ChickyBoy417

ChickyBoy417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

Is she vaccinated for mareks, coccidiosis, and newcastles?

3. shari H

shari H New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Probably not I was given them as a gift my other chicks are vaccinated. The batch of top hats came from a chicken farm
    were they eat chickens not sure would have to call and find out.

shari

4. Bobbykiki

Bobbykiki Out Of The Brooder

sounds liek mereks. i lost 5 birds to it the the early summer. Its pretty obvious, looks drunk, wont eat, takes 3 steps then sits down. Quaratine!!!

5. shari H

shari H New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    ok so another top hat chicken is doing the same thing . could they just be deficient in vitamins? The first top hat has shown some improvement after I gave it antibiotics and vitamin e. Does this happen when they get to cold? could this be just a virus or wry neck?
    is wry neck genetic or can it spread?

thanks,shari

6. ChickyBoy417

Jul 12, 2012
    You have to quarantine those chickens fast. Don't let it spread. There is no cure for mareks. But you can prevent it though. Its too late for that now. Just hope for the best.

7. shari H

shari H New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    How do you prevent it?

8. ChickyBoy417

Jul 12, 2012
    You have to vaccinate them, but that has to be done in the first day of their life. Its too late now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by