sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by patti17340, Feb 1, 2014.

1. patti17340

patti17340 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    I have 3 chicken I have had them for 3 years no problems what so ever. About 3 days ago I noticed that one on them seemed to be walking funny. In this squat like waddle. When I let her out of the coop she would just sit not running around or looking for bugs like she usually does. Also she is my hard to catch chicken. I was able to walk right up on her and pick her up. I checked her vent to see if she possibly had an egg stuck as I have been getting extermely big eggs even now and than.. I saw nothing and feel nothing.. She is eatting very little.. today she did eat some corn and peas I had left over from dinner last night. I have brought her into the house at night because one of the other hens will just come up and peck her when she is sitting.
    Any advise.. this is my first time dealing with a sick chicken. Thanks Patti

2. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I hope by now you chicken is better. I wish I could give you a good "guess" as to her problem but I can not. I am discovering there are SO many diseases and problems that can affect and afflect chickens. All I can suggest is start with the basics. Have they been wormed ? Not just for round worms with Wasine but also for other parasites using liquid ivermectin. Vitimans in the drinking water ? Apple Cider vinigar (the kind with the 'Mother' I am told) can work wonders. Any way sure hope you can find out what is wrong. Mites ? maybe ?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect egg yolk peritonitis because of her age, history of laying over-sized eggs, and her squatting waddle. I would double check her vent by inserting a lubricated gloved finger just to make sure she isn't egg bound. Unfortunately with EYP, there isn't much you can do unless treat with antibiotics and keep her comfortable. I would also do a check of her skin near the vent and elsewhere for lice or mites. If you haven't wormed recently, fenbendazole or SafeGuard horse paste or liquid goat wormer are good--1/2 ml of either one, and repeat in 10 days.

4. patti17340

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    I use Vinigar in the water all the time .. I powder them for lice ..
    I am going to physical check her vent today and go to the farm store and get some ivermectin. She seems comforatable but does not seem to be pooping much.. this is worst than a kid.. And I was thinking about gettting a dozem more in Spring.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she is eggbound. Soak her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. The warm water will relax and expand her innards, massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she lay an egg.

6. patti17340

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    I have done that twice. I injected her with olive oil to help lubicate her.. nothing.. she is moving around better and this afternoon she came out of the crate and walked around in the bathroom and even roosted up on the edge of the tub. She appears move comfortable. I am going to soak her again in the morning, My next try is to worm her.. but I see no evidence of worms in her droppings.
    Thanks to everyone for the help.
    ps
    I should let you know our bathroom floors are heated so it is like she is sitting on a heating pad which should be like being soaked in warm water.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by