Sick chicken?

Ok so you mixed up the Corid and it's available to her in her waterer at all times right? Not just the doses you are giving her directly?

Corid definitely will not hurt her even if she doesn't have coccidiosis. I would however be extremely careful in trying to get her to vomit, it's so easy for them to aspirate and that's a quick way to kill a bird. Is her crop emptying over night?

Her crop may feel firm during the day if she has been eating, but it should feel mostly empty by morning. If it is full and squishy like a balloon, it could be just slow to empty, or it could be a sour crop. Vomiting a chicken is very dangerous, and can cause them to aspirate and choke to death if not done properly. Many have lost chickens due to this. Since she is dehydrated from not eating, and you are trying to get her to drink the Corid, then if you vomit her, you are not doing her any good. I would let her drink as much as she can, then give her more if you have to. Now here are a couple of links to read on impacted or sour crop if you think she has that:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Correct, it is availiable to her in her water along with the syringe doses i am giving her. How would i know if her crop is emptying over night? This morning her tail feathers were soaked in poo because she won't stand to poop. I washed her in warm water and dried her off. She seems to be not getting any worse over the past 24 hours but certinally is not getting any better. Just kinda holding her own. My wife is at the store now getting her some yougut. I also gave her a syringe of olive oil about noon. I'm not sure at this point what is wrong. Just kind of taking my best guess that it is an impacted crop but i really have no idea.
Thank you all for sticking with me and offering advise and ideas. Her name is Miss Speckles and she has become like a pet in just the 5 months i have had her. It is killing me to see her suffering (although she seems not to be in pain) while i figure out what is wrong.

Correct, it is availiable to her in her water along with the syringe doses i am giving her. How would i know if her crop is emptying over night? This morning her tail feathers were soaked in poo because she won't stand to poop. I washed her in warm water and dried her off. She seems to be not getting any worse over the past 24 hours but certinally is not getting any better. Just kinda holding her own. My wife is at the store now getting her some yougut. I also gave her a syringe of olive oil about noon. I'm not sure at this point what is wrong. Just kind of taking my best guess that it is an impacted crop but i really have no idea.
Thank you all for sticking with me and offering advise and ideas. Her name is Miss Speckles and she has become like a pet in just the 5 months i have had her. It is killing me to see her suffering (although she seems not to be in pain) while i figure out what is wrong.

Check her crop first thing in the morning, before she's had a chance to eat anything, it should be empty. If she's eating it will fill gradually during the day.

Don't give yogurt until she's finished the 5-7 day course of Corid. Milk products coat the intestine and can reduce the effectiveness of the Corid. Buttermilk is sometimes used as a way to slow down a case of coccidiosis in the event that Corid or other treatment is not readily available. If you want to give probiotic's get some from the feed store or Tractor Supply that are powdered and mixed with the water. I don't believe there are any contraindications of adding probiotic's at the same time as Corid, unless they are a dairy product, but I personally prefer not to mix any two treatments at the same time.

Wish I could be of more help, chickens are so hard to figure out sometimes and very often all we can do is treat the symptoms and treat for what would be the most common possibility even if only to be able to rule it out.

Do you have access to an avian or exotic's vet in your area? At the very least having a fecal sample tested for high numbers of cocci as well as other things would be helpful.

Ms Speckles just passed away in my arms tonight. Seems stupid to be so sad and heartbroken over a chicken. I loved her like any other pet. I was so glad i was here when she passed and she knows i did everything i could to make her better. I knew the odds were against me saving her so i made her comfortable and did all i could to treat her. I am so sorry Ms Speckles i was not able to do more for you.

I'm sorry that you lost her. Diagnosing chickens is very hard. It took me awhile into chickens, but now when I lose one, I try to do a necropsy to see if there is anything obvious that could have killed them, such as worms, an impacted gizzard or crop, egg binding, egg yolk peritonitis, and so on. We can understand if you don't feel up to doing this, but there is also the state vet who could do a thorough necropsy on a refrigerated body. Please take care. Here is a link for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Back
Top Bottom