sick chickens again

Lenka

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2013
so I think my girls got coccidia again.. I first got it in August- and lost 2 hens (at the time were 3.5 months old) I treated them with corrid, although Im wondering if I did the right length of time, because I just lost another chicken and at least one other isn't looking so hot. Im gonna treat again with corrid, this time for a week and watch them carefully. I also have a pic of a couple of the chickens, my Delaware who has a wiked pale comb and face in general which is worrying me and the other jersey... she looks ok, was slightly limping today and was making weird noises (almost like a cat)

any suggestions?

the Delaware will eat out of my hand as well as the other girls, shes not acting any differently then the other girls (minus the Jersey)

I saw some slightly bloody poos, The delaware and Jersey have paler combs and they arent as active as the other chickens (thats more the Jersey) The Jersey that died just kind of sat around and died today. They were all acting and looking fine last night.

(I just read this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it and the symptoms match.. )

Is there something else that has similar symptoms?

I saw some slightly bloody poos, The delaware and Jersey have paler combs and they arent as active as the other chickens (thats more the Jersey) The Jersey that died just kind of sat around and died today. They were all acting and looking fine last night.

(I just read this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it and the symptoms match.. )

Is there something else that has similar symptoms?
Treat them,if no improvement in a couple of days,then you will know Coccidiosis is not the problem. Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chickens for 5-7 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Treat them,if no improvement in a couple of days,then you will know Coccidiosis is not the problem. Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chickens for 5-7 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete.
ok thats the plan then, thank you. Will I see improvement in the color of the comb and such so soon? What kind of vitamins are you suggesting? I havent been giving them anything- they spend most of their day outside and are on chick grower/ layer pellet mix.

ok thats the plan then, thank you. Will I see improvement in the color of the comb and such so soon? What kind of vitamins are you suggesting? I havent been giving them anything- they spend most of their day outside and are on chick grower/ layer pellet mix.
You should see no more blood in 24-48 hours,should see an improvement in 3-4 days. For vitamins you can use Nutri Drench or similar product for a couple of days after Corid treatment.

Last edited:
ok Im at a loss right now. I just finished treatment of Corrid for the one week... and today lost another hen- the delaware. I honestly don't know whats going on with them. We cut her open to see if there was anything in her crop that could have caused it, but it was mostly empty except for some liquid of some sort. Also when we were opening her up, the skin was super thin and easy to break apart. I've now lost a total of 4 chickens of the 12 i got in July. At the time they were 1.5 months old. I never fed them a medicated diet, and they are currently on layer feed. I clean the messiest areas of the coop once a week and have done a complete clean 2 times since I've gotten them. They have a window in the coop, but its only at the top where they won't fell the wind if its super windy (their roost is by the window). They go outside everyday and the rest of them all look and act great. Is this a case of some chickens just being weak or is there a chance that all my chickens are sick and eventually I will lose all of them?

Also I got Duramycin-10 yesterday, but have not given it to them yet. I put apple cider vinegar in their water and hope that will help them.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you ever wormed these chickens? It may be that they are dealing with worm load.

There are a number of wormers you can use, the BYC Moderator Flockwatcher posted these great links the other day, check them out:
Common External Parasites in Poultry: Lice and Mites:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

And two threads about worming:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-seeing-live-worms-in-poo/0_20#post_9315842

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-crd-parasites-are-rampant/0_20#post_7474233

And another BYC member, TheDragonLady, recommends this worming schedule:

All babies are wormed with Wazine in their water at 2 + 3 weeks. Wazine is
never used again .
Safeguard 10 % Goat wormer, alternating with Valbazan at 4 weeks, 6,8,10,
12, 14 weeks
1/4 cc at 4,6,8 weeks
1/2 cc at 10,12,14 weeks.

5 mos on...... I check fecals, and worm about 4 times a year with the
Safeguard, or with Valbazan. 1 CC per Big bird over 8 lbs.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom