Sick chickens and eggs

Eat the eggs?

• Total voters

xchelseareneex

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2018
Willow Spring, North Carolina
Hi everyone!

Sadly, some of my chickens got sick and although most were fine in a few days with some extra probiotics and vetRX and electrolytes, not all of them made it. There was some sneezing and coughing and some had swollen eyes. Minus the few that didn’t make it (), they are all fine and back to normal now.

My question is... are the eggs safe to eat? I have about 8 dozen eggs built up and not sure which came from which chicken, as some were laid in the past few weeks as well. All my chickens are happy and healthy and laying now, but I want to make sure they are safe to eat before feeding them to my family and neighbors! Any help would be appreciated!

I would not. My chickens came down with a sickness similar to that. That almost sounds like mycoplasmosis or aspergillosis. You shouldn't eat eggs from a sick chicken, and when one is sick you should count it as if they all were. And I personally wouldn't chance it as there are zoonotic diseases like salmonella. I would throw them in the compost pile if you have one, if not then the garbage. I don't like wasting eggs, or anything, but if your chickens aren't immune to it they could get sick again if you threw the eggs back to them, which is what I'd suggest if you had eggs that might not have been okay for human consumption but okay for them. I wouldn't chance it, but now that they're healthy, you can load up on all they eggs you want:thumbsup
And I'm sorry to hear that they got sick and that you lost some:hit

I would not. My chickens came down with a sickness similar to that. That almost sounds like mycoplasmosis or aspergillosis. You shouldn't eat eggs from a sick chicken, and when one is sick you should count it as if they all were. And I personally wouldn't chance it as there are zoonotic diseases like salmonella. I would throw them in the compost pile if you have one, if not then the garbage. I don't like wasting eggs, or anything, but if your chickens aren't immune to it they could get sick again if you threw the eggs back to them, which is what I'd suggest if you had eggs that might not have been okay for human consumption but okay for them. I wouldn't chance it, but now that they're healthy, you can load up on all they eggs you want:thumbsup
And I'm sorry to hear that they got sick and that you lost some:hit

Thanks for the feedback! I’m reading so many mixed things about it and now I’m paranoid about the eggs! Most of the stuff I found (even about the two diseases you listed) said you can still eat the eggs as long as they’re cooked properly, but every once and a while I can across something that said differently. So I appreciate the feedback! I haven’t started a compost pile since I don’t know much about it, so I guess I’ll have to throw them out unfortunately. Hopefully from now on all my babies will stay happy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom