Sick chickens HELP!

Brattny

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
I have a flock of 12 chickens. This morning when I went to let my chickens out I noticed my rooster wasn’t coming out, as he is usually the first out. His left eye is swollen shut and has some white colored discharge. He’s very weak and wobbly on his feet. He also has some nasal discharge. There are 2 more hens who are experiencing some of the same symptoms but way milder. I have done a warm compress and applied terramycin. I also gave him some VetRX. He has been in the head down position all day! We just recently introduced some new chickens to the flock and 6 of them were baby silly chicken. We lost 2 due to something similar and I recently tried to incorporate everyone together over the weekend. Thinking that my older chickens are catching the same thing? I don’t want to loose anyone. I need to know if I am handling this correctly. I don’t have Enough money for a vet visit. I will attach pictures. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 4
Hey so i looked up the symptoms, and this is what it brought me to: "Infectious coryza is an acute respiratory disease of chickens caused by Avibacterium paragallinarum" It said this is how they get it: "Coryza is primarily transmitted by direct bird-to-bird contact. In addition, birds can also catch the disease by breathing airborne bacteria and consuming contaminated feed and/or water. The disease can also be introduced when infected birds are brought into the flock." Here are the symptoms: "Signs: Facial swelling, Purulent ocular and nasal discharge, Swollen wattles, Sneezing, Dyspnoea, Loss in condition, Drop in egg production of 10-40%, Inappetance." Hope this helped! If this is what you think it is, you can tell me, and i can look up some more about it for you. Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding! I have looked up several things it could be as a lot of symptoms can be similar. I have looked up a bit on infectious Coryza. Any insight on how I might treat this?

Back
Top Bottom