Sick Chickens

HJ2138

Chirping
Dec 1, 2018
Hi could someone please help me. I have rescued 8 chickens approx 2 months ago. Isa Browns 12 months old. First time I have ever had chickens and I love them. 3 weeks 1 of my chickens started getting wobbly on her feet and curling her toes and shaking her head. She can’t walk much at all now . She hasn’t laid for 2 weeks. She is eating and drinking well. I’ve tried warm baths , giving her calcium and vitamin b and electrolytes. I have sprayed mite and lice treatment on her but not on her vent.
She has been quarantined from the other chickens.
But 2 days ago I noticed 1 of my other chickens shaking her head and walking slow and very tired eyes. She isn’t eating much . I am not really sure what is happening to my girls.

I would really love to be able to help you, but I just don't know what could be wrong for sure. Could you please repost your question in this section:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

The ER folks may see it there a lot sooner...
BYC-rainbow-hen 2 2.png

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcomeWe are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: It must be a contagious disease the fact that you have discovered it in both of your hens. I hope you get helpful answers in your thread. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

The Fact you rescued them ... they were probably not fed properly ..It could be a vitamin deficiency..
From my medicine File
"
I read where someone had issues with healthy chickens all of a sudden having leg problems described this way:
"signs of paralysis. Their curled toes put them off balance and they would rock back on their hocks. In advanced stages, their legs would scoot out behind them and they would scoot about pathetically on their breasts"....
After consulting my Merk Vetrinary Manual, I determined that it was curly toe syndrome caused by a riboflavin deficiency. Grabbing some beef liver from the freezer, I fed it to the chicks and the problem stopped immediately. Even the paralyzed chicks began walking again. Since putting brewers yeast in the ration, we haven't had the problem."
I'm wondering if this could possibly be what's going on? Interesting that it was beef liver that revived them! "

Info on VITAMIN B2 (Riboflavin)
Among many different roles in the body, most notable duty of this vitamin is its involvement in unlocking the energy from the nutrients we consume and allows for wounds to heel faster.

Research during the last decade made this rather unassuming vitamin very interesting for migraine sufferers as it showed to reduce sensitivity to painful stimuli and exert anti-inflammatory effect. If you are a meat eater deficiency is very rare. Besides meats you can obtain B2 from yeast products, sprouts, mushrooms, broccoli and wheatgerm.

Do you have Hamburg ? Cook some up and give it to them I wish them the best

The Fact you rescued them ... they were probably not fed properly ..It could be a vitamin deficiency..
From my medicine File
"
I read where someone had issues with healthy chickens all of a sudden having leg problems described this way:
"signs of paralysis. Their curled toes put them off balance and they would rock back on their hocks. In advanced stages, their legs would scoot out behind them and they would scoot about pathetically on their breasts"....
After consulting my Merk Vetrinary Manual, I determined that it was curly toe syndrome caused by a riboflavin deficiency. Grabbing some beef liver from the freezer, I fed it to the chicks and the problem stopped immediately. Even the paralyzed chicks began walking again. Since putting brewers yeast in the ration, we haven't had the problem."
I'm wondering if this could possibly be what's going on? Interesting that it was beef liver that revived them! "

Info on VITAMIN B2 (Riboflavin)
Among many different roles in the body, most notable duty of this vitamin is its involvement in unlocking the energy from the nutrients we consume and allows for wounds to heel faster.

Research during the last decade made this rather unassuming vitamin very interesting for migraine sufferers as it showed to reduce sensitivity to painful stimuli and exert anti-inflammatory effect. If you are a meat eater deficiency is very rare. Besides meats you can obtain B2 from yeast products, sprouts, mushrooms, broccoli and wheatgerm.

Do you have Hamburg ? Cook some up and give it to them I wish them the best
Thankyou so much for replying. I haven’t tried beef liver as yet but will go and buy some . I have been putting vitiam b complete (human) in the water and giving her doses of calcium but she still can’t stand properly she is exactly how you described. She is alert and eating well. Should I try vitiam b drops specifically for chickens ?. Now I have another chicken doing the same. I am in Australia and buy good quality feed mix for them. What is Hamburg please ?

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcomeWe are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: It must be a contagious disease the fact that you have discovered it in both of your hens. I hope you get helpful answers in your thread. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!
Thankyou for your reply. I am hoping to get some answers

Back
Top Bottom