Sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ibreathe4u, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ibreathe4u

ibreathe4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Portland,OR
    So, a few days ago I noticed my GLW was a little slow, just not too excited about treats when I threw them out. She'd eat, but not with her normal gusto.

Yesterday I found her in the bushes, very lethargic, not eating or drinking. We put her in a box and kept her overnight in the garage. She never fought us, just laid there all night. I expected her to die. I'd give her droppers of water which she took, but she refused food.

This morning when she was awake and moving around, I got the dropper, gave her water, she was obviously very thirsty. She took some oat groats out of my hand, and ate some corn kernels as well. She seemed chipper enough so I took her outside. She made a beeline for the water and drank her fill. She's moving around, but not really herself just yet.

Again, last night I noticed my Speckled Sussex went to bed early. Now today she's acting the same way as my GLW. She's hiding in the bushes, won't eat or come when I call. This is the chicken that demands I carry her around the yard giving her all of my attention. Now I can't even get to her in the bushes.

They've been vaccinated against Mareks. I thought maybe coccidiosis, but no bloody stool, just lethargy. My other 3 girls are acting completely normal.

Very worried.

2. ibreathe4u

Jun 27, 2012
    Portland,OR
    I want to add that both hens are 15 months old. I have another 15 mo BO who seems fine and 2 36 week girls that are happy and healthy. I just ordered corid, figured I'd treat to see, but it won't get here until the 28th. I'm worried they'll all be sick or dead by then. I can't drive due to an injury and I wouldn't know where to get it if I could.

So stressed.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Depending on the strain of coccidiosis, blood is not always present in stools. Your chickens should be immune to cocci by now unless they have recently come there to live, you have brought in some new birds, or could have tracked it in on your shoes or tires. To slow down the progression, you can give butter milk soaked feed, or use milk if you can get that. As always, look them over for lice, mites, think about worming, and make sure their crops are emptying by morning. Corid doage for the liquid is 2 tsp or powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water, treat for 5 -7 days, nothing else in the water, and don't give vitamins until after Corid treatment.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. ibreathe4u

Jun 27, 2012
    Portland,OR
    Thanks for the advice! My GLW seems to be at about 95% normal, my Sussex seems better this morning, not herself by any stretch but she's drinking and eating, similar to the GLW yesterday. I'm baffled but grateful they seem to be recovering. The other three girls seem healthy and happy as normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by