1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lisa lees, Sep 20, 2013.

1. lisa lees

lisa lees Out Of The Brooder

I have had my original flock for about 6 mo. And I bought a roster with 4 hens the roster does a great job protecting all the hens a little to well if u ask me ....... im working with him I know he will never be nice but I have gotten him to the point were he will not attack me when I clean the coop are handle the hens . Here is my question one of my hens somehow contracted worms I treated them as soon as I noticed them in the poop but they lay lots of eggs and soon I will have so many eggs I dont know what to do with any body have any ideas what to do with them can I eat these egg

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Try the emergency and diseases section.

3. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Welcome from College Station, Texas. Your rooster reminds me of the first one our neighbors' had about 5 years ago. George was a barred rock who became increasingly aggressive with us when he came to visit in our yard. He drew blood on my husband's legs a couple of times with his spurs. And when he was around I was afraid to go out and hang laundry. A couple of times I had to use the laundry basket as a shield. Fortunately for us, George apparently made the fatal decision to attack a neighbor Rottweiler. The two roosters since George have been perfectly nice, but I'd like to know how you are working with your rooster to get him settled down.

4. lisa lees

I have had to kick him a few times not hard but enough to get my point across I also make my self bigger then him by putting my arms out like I'm puffing up I can tell he thinks about going after me but he knows who's boss lady I have no intention in getting rid of him he does a good job taking care of his lady's and to tell u the truth I have grown attached to the little a_ _ hole I have also shown my girls how to react to him so he gets it from all of us and he has actually gotten a lot better :)

5. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    I admire your patience.

6. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I agree with Banatamfan4life. By the way [​IMG] !

7. lisa lees

I have 3 little baby chick one amaricana frizzled silkie mix a white pure silkie plus a little black silkie mix I'm not sure what she is mixed with she is tiny I'm thinking cochin but I'm not sure they are all about 3 weeks old it has been a struggle since I got these chicks I started with 2 my original white one and a little black silkie the black one died the little white one was so upset about being alone so I had my husband go back to the breeder and he got 4 more 2 of those babys died 1 black silkie and a cochin I'm not sure if its the breeder are the breed I have 6 adult chicken and all 6 survived and are healthy strong chickens that I raised from babies so maybe I did something wrong I am just not sure now with the three remaining babies that I have left the smallest black one has this crusty stuff around her eyes and mouth I dont mnow what it is are how to treat it she always has poop caked around her bottom that I clean off for her I love these chicks they are so beautiful but I'm just so frustrated on t h e deaths and problems that I have encountered do u think that the breed has problem and if so I wish the breeder would have warned me are did I get suckered by a bad breeder who sold me sick chicks and what is that crusty stuff and how do I treat it and why does poop keep getting stuck to her bottom and how do I treat that :(

8. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    What breeder did you get them from? Has the chick had any diarrhea? Does it smell bad?(I know chickens stink, but I mean does it smell unusually stinky) Is it drinking enough water? Is the crusty stuff liquidity?

9. lisa lees

I got them from a breeder in rochester Washington . I found her on crags list I never got her name she was not very friendly I have not seen any diarrhea and no I have not noticed a bad smell the crusty stuff is just crusty like eye boogers and for such a tiny chick she does just fine getting to food and water so I'm baffled I'm not a expert at this stuff I am pretty much playing by ear and hoping I'm doing it right so maybe I am overreacting I'm not sure

10. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    I almost bought from her and backed out. Good thing...I talked to a guy who bought a few chicks from her and they were sick with a viral illness. He had them tested at the WSU lab and had to quarantine his entire flock.

I hope your chicks get better but be very careful on CL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by