sick chickens

lisa lees

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
Tacoma (Puyallup) washington
I have had my original flock for about 6 mo. And I bought a roster with 4 hens the roster does a great job protecting all the hens a little to well if u ask me ....... im working with him I know he will never be nice but I have gotten him to the point were he will not attack me when I clean the coop are handle the hens . Here is my question one of my hens somehow contracted worms I treated them as soon as I noticed them in the poop but they lay lots of eggs and soon I will have so many eggs I dont know what to do with any body have any ideas what to do with them can I eat these egg

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Try the emergency and diseases section.

Welcome from College Station, Texas. Your rooster reminds me of the first one our neighbors' had about 5 years ago. George was a barred rock who became increasingly aggressive with us when he came to visit in our yard. He drew blood on my husband's legs a couple of times with his spurs. And when he was around I was afraid to go out and hang laundry. A couple of times I had to use the laundry basket as a shield. Fortunately for us, George apparently made the fatal decision to attack a neighbor Rottweiler. The two roosters since George have been perfectly nice, but I'd like to know how you are working with your rooster to get him settled down.

I have had to kick him a few times not hard but enough to get my point across I also make my self bigger then him by putting my arms out like I'm puffing up I can tell he thinks about going after me but he knows who's boss lady I have no intention in getting rid of him he does a good job taking care of his lady's and to tell u the truth I have grown attached to the little a_ _ hole I have also shown my girls how to react to him so he gets it from all of us and he has actually gotten a lot better :)

I have 3 little baby chick one amaricana frizzled silkie mix a white pure silkie plus a little black silkie mix I'm not sure what she is mixed with she is tiny I'm thinking cochin but I'm not sure they are all about 3 weeks old it has been a struggle since I got these chicks I started with 2 my original white one and a little black silkie the black one died the little white one was so upset about being alone so I had my husband go back to the breeder and he got 4 more 2 of those babys died 1 black silkie and a cochin I'm not sure if its the breeder are the breed I have 6 adult chicken and all 6 survived and are healthy strong chickens that I raised from babies so maybe I did something wrong I am just not sure now with the three remaining babies that I have left the smallest black one has this crusty stuff around her eyes and mouth I dont mnow what it is are how to treat it she always has poop caked around her bottom that I clean off for her I love these chicks they are so beautiful but I'm just so frustrated on t h e deaths and problems that I have encountered do u think that the breed has problem and if so I wish the breeder would have warned me are did I get suckered by a bad breeder who sold me sick chicks and what is that crusty stuff and how do I treat it and why does poop keep getting stuck to her bottom and how do I treat that :(

I have 3 little baby chick one amaricana frizzled silkie mix a white pure silkie plus a little black silkie mix I'm not sure what she is mixed with she is tiny I'm thinking cochin but I'm not sure they are all about 3 weeks old it has been a struggle since I got these chicks I started with 2 my original white one and a little black silkie the black one died the little white one was so upset about being alone so I had my husband go back to the breeder and he got 4 more 2 of those babys died 1 black silkie and a cochin I'm not sure if its the breeder are the breed I have 6 adult chicken and all 6 survived and are healthy strong chickens that I raised from babies so maybe I did something wrong I am just not sure now with the three remaining babies that I have left the smallest black one has this crusty stuff around her eyes and mouth I dont mnow what it is are how to treat it she always has poop caked around her bottom that I clean off for her I love these chicks they are so beautiful but I'm just so frustrated on t h e deaths and problems that I have encountered do u think that the breed has problem and if so I wish the breeder would have warned me are did I get suckered by a bad breeder who sold me sick chicks and what is that crusty stuff and how do I treat it and why does poop keep getting stuck to her bottom and how do I treat that
sad.png

What breeder did you get them from? Has the chick had any diarrhea? Does it smell bad?(I know chickens stink, but I mean does it smell unusually stinky) Is it drinking enough water? Is the crusty stuff liquidity?

I got them from a breeder in rochester Washington . I found her on crags list I never got her name she was not very friendly I have not seen any diarrhea and no I have not noticed a bad smell the crusty stuff is just crusty like eye boogers and for such a tiny chick she does just fine getting to food and water so I'm baffled I'm not a expert at this stuff I am pretty much playing by ear and hoping I'm doing it right so maybe I am overreacting I'm not sure

I almost bought from her and backed out. Good thing...I talked to a guy who bought a few chicks from her and they were sick with a viral illness. He had them tested at the WSU lab and had to quarantine his entire flock.

I hope your chicks get better but be very careful on CL.

Back
Top Bottom