Sick chickens

I haven't seen any discharge from anybody some sneezing but nothing with discharge. It not my youngest birds that are dying it's the middle to older ones both
There not old only being a yr or so at the most. I keep clean water for them. I do use heat lamps when it get around freezing and I feed them grower at the time. Because there is younger chickens in there so it's to early for layer. The chicken that just suddenly get weak and die look great a day before they get like this. No sneezing or anything so idk if it's just they need to be wormed or what I have no clue.
Did the deaths start in older birds after you introduced the younger birds? How much sneezing,constant or once in a while? Are all birds sneezing? Did birds that died have runny/watery poop? All deaths have been older birds,no young ones have died? How many have died and how far apart are the deaths?

Just to rule out heat lamp issues,check to make sure your lamp/casing/brackets contain no teflon,teflon is toxic to birds,while i do not think this is the problem,check anyway.

Last edited:
The one that is sick now has white running poop?
ok,but i need to know how far after bringing in new birds to flock did deaths start happening,was it about 2 weeks after? How far apart were deaths. You have confirmed that it is only older birds dying,no young ones. I am guessing it might be a coccidiosis overload/outbreak,this is why i keep asking these questions.

Where do you live? If we (collectively) cannot figure out what is going on, would you consider sending one of your birds in for a necropsy/testing? A necropsy is like an autopsy for animals. Some states offer this for free or a low cost. It is something to consider if you lose another bird. Something is definitely wrong if you are losing one a month on average.

Best wishes to you and your birds!

Back
Top Bottom