Sick chickie, not sure what is wrong

cruisnmoma

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 14, 2013
My almost 2 yr old road island red is not feeling well. 2 days ago I found her just standing next to the fence along. I checked on her and gave her some treats, but she did not eat them. I checked her out to be sure she was not hurt, but did not find anything. I noticed her pouch was empty. That time of the day it should have been full.

I brought her you to the house to try and get her to eat. Still nothing. She did let go a big wet yellow poo with some dark clots in it. From everything I have been reading it sounds like it might be Coccidiosis. I got her started on Corid right away. The end of today will be 3 days taking the water. She is drinking it, but that is about all she is taking. Most of the time I have to get her started to drink it. IF this is what she has, how many days will it take before I see her getting better? I know she has to be on the water 5-7 days, but should I start to see a difference soon? will her poo start to look different?
I am thinking about taking a sample to the vet tomorrow to run tests on it if I dont see a difference in the morning.

Any advice would be helpful. We have 5 girls, and I have the rest on the water too just to be sure. We also cleaned the coop really good. No one else is sick and they are all laying but her.

Maybe try feeding her some scrambled egg. If she's not really eating, her poop won't look normal anyway. You could also try worming her at the same time as treating the coccidiosis. Good luck!

Maybe try feeding her some scrambled egg. If she's not really eating, her poop won't look normal anyway. You could also try worming her at the same time as treating the coccidiosis. Good luck!

My chickens love raw eggs and when my hen wasent eating that was the only thing i could get her to eat

We have tried to feed her everything including some egg, so far all she was willing to eat on her own was some corn. and not much of it. I have a mix of good dry cat food mixed with some soft cat food and her medicaded water and fed her with a syringe.

Any thoughts as to what I should use to worm her with?

We have had chickens for 5 yrs and this is the first time any one has got sick.

Also. I really need to know how long it might take before I see her doing better. I just can not find any info on that. All I can find is to give her the water 5-7 days.

The best wormer is Valbazen, but it's expensivish. The reason it's so good is it only takes one dose and knocks out many kinds of worms. You can also use Safeguard goat wormer. It's less expensive, still kills several kinds of worms, but you have to give a dose a day for 5 days. Here is a great thread on worming chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures The thread starter, @casportpony , has links in her signature line to other great info on worming and tube feeding and supportive care.

My almost 2 yr old road island red is not feeling well. 2 days ago I found her just standing next to the fence along. I checked on her and gave her some treats, but she did not eat them. I checked her out to be sure she was not hurt, but did not find anything. I noticed her pouch was empty. That time of the day it should have been full. 

I brought her you to the house to try and get her to eat. Still nothing. She did let go a big wet yellow poo with some dark clots in it. From everything I have been reading it sounds like it might be [COLOR=141823]Coccidiosis. I got her started on Corid right away. The end of today will be 3 days taking the water. She is drinking it, but that is about all she is taking. Most of the time I have to get her started to drink it. IF this is what she has, how many days will it take before I see her getting better? I know she has to be on the water 5-7 days, but should I start to see a difference soon? will her poo start to look different? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=141823]I am thinking about taking a sample to the vet tomorrow to run tests on it if I dont see a difference in the morning.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=141823]Any advice would be helpful. We have 5 girls, and I have the rest on the water too just to be sure. We also cleaned the coop really good. No one else is sick and they are all laying but her.[/COLOR]

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html?m=1 this web page should tell u every thing u need to know

Still can not find any info on how long it will take to see a difference using the corid. She is just starting day 4 using it. She IS drinking a LOT of the water, but will not eat other then what we can force into her.
Her pop is still watery, not as yellow, but still clumps some times. Since she is drinking so much water is looks like messy water. She is still up and alert, but stands with her eyes closed most of the time. She can walk around, but choese not to. If she had any worms would I see them in her pop at all? if I do not see a bigger improvment by the end of the day we are going ot get that Valbazen and give it a try. The other 4 girls are fine so far, but we are giving them the water with the corid just in case.

Does she have any swelling in her abdomen? Are you mixing fresh Corid water daily? Has she laid any eggs recently?

no swelling, and yes we are mixing the water every day. No eggs since she has been sick.

Back
Top Bottom