sick chickie

I should add that I've also been instructed by several avian vets to give 30mg/kg, but one that I talked to on the phone did say that the dose range was 30-60mg for treatment of histomoniasis. I've lost a few (necropsies confirmed histomoniasis) and saved many more treating at 30mg/kg.
Sorry for your losses.

The OP is dealing with a 2 year old RIR, not a banty.
But what if someone with a banty reads this and decides to give 250mg to their bird? It's been sick for over a week and we don't know how much it weighs or how it's hydration is, but I know that pigeons get 250mg for canker, so I don't think that would kill it, but it might make her feel worse and/or give her a really bad case of the runs. I also read somewhere that if the liver is involved that the dose should be lowered.

She is a pretty big girl when she isn't dehydrated and eating so little. Sorry but I can't speculate on poundage and I don't have a scale to weigh her. Would the two of you who are going back and forth about dosage agree that going forward with treating her for that would be a good move?? Do you have any thoughts on the probable cocci dx vs the blackhead dx?

Last edited:
  • I have a bunch of peafowl and turkeys that I've been treating for blackhead on and off for over a year now, not one has ever had that really smelly poop.
  • Both are diseases that *usually* affect younger birds, but that doesn't mean that older birds are immune.
  • It's possible that she has both coccidiosis *and* blackhead.
  • Treating for blackhead will be easier because all you have to do is put a pill in her mouth.
  • Tractor Supply only sells the powdered form of Corid. Since she isn't drinking, you would have to figure out how to get the right amount into her. If you can find the liquid Corid, I can tell you how much to give her, but you will need to weigh her.

If she were mine, I might treat her for both, but I would probably talk to a vet first. FYI, you could take her to an inexpensive vet, tell them you want a prescription for metronidazole ($1/pill at Walgreen's). An office visit should be around $45 and would get her weighed and get you meds.

If you don't do something soon, she will die simply from not drinking/eating.

Thanks. She is eating by oral syringe and swallowing all that is in her mouth. I do plan to get as much into her as possible. Thanks

I am also going to give her sub q fluids and start corid/fish zole today. I think dehydration is a major issue at this point and she needs more fluid than i can get into her orally. Thankfully she is still fighting me to wrap her in a towel and tries to peck me when i get her beak open. I also think that her comb is looking better- standing up almost straight and only discolored at the very tips so her oxygenation must be better.

fl.gif

According to the AAAP Disease Manual, the correct metronidazole dose is 30mg/kg by mouth for five days. 250mg is what I give my turkeys.

I can assure you that 250mg is the correct dosage for chickens. Been there, done that. Dose yours as you see fit.

I've no certain number to throw as the ideal, but ... there's bound to be a study for that ~'-)

As our good ol' family doctor puts it, there's a tendency to 'shoot rabbits w/ cannons' where meds are concerned, but using dosages under certain minimums can ultimately do far greater harm -- not just to the one living creature, but to all: That's where the resistant forms of everything are comin' from.

Recommended dose rates for metronidazole in dogs are 44 mg/kg, PO, followed by 22 mg/kg, qid for anaerobic infections; 25 mg/kg, PO, bid for giardiasis; and 66 mg/kg, PO, sid for trichomoniasis. Courses of therapy are generally 5-7 days. Both PO and IV preparations are available.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom