Sick chicks from TSC?

Krismcgee

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
I apologize if this is not in the correct topic chain, I was not sure where it belonged. I stopped by TSC today to look at the chicks (just came in today!) and noticed that one of the chicks (an assorted bantam) was laying down in an atypical position. Not a floppy sleepy chick position, but kind of crumpled. I pointed it out to one of the ladies that works there and she dipped its beak in water (w/ electrolytes) then went on her way. I shopped for a few more minutes and noticed that it appeared to be getting worse and was laying on its side with its feet curled up. Long story short, I spoke to another employee about it and the sick chick was moved to a "sick bay" in the back - where it will likely die or be culled. I asked if I could take it home and was told no, that it was against company policy. Was not able to speak to a manager and did not want to make a scene about it. Just wanted to give the baby a fighting chance. Has anyone had any luck taking the sick chicks home (without having to meet the 6 chick minimum)? Any advice on what to do in the future? Thanks in advance.
km

Shipping can be extremely stressful and some chicks are born with congenital problems that limit chances of survival. In other words a certain percentage are going to die even given the best of care. Which admittedly may not be the case in farm store type settings. While trying to save weak chicks is a noble gesture it might also be very heart breaking.

Our tsc just got their shipment in today. I was there for the unloading and they were in great health. But I can imagine that out of the 600 chickens the received today there will be a couple that didn't cope well with the shipping. Sorry they wouldnt let u take it home but I can tell you from my experience last week. Shipping causes great stress and can cause death quickly. There isn't a whole lot to be done to save them at that point.

Ask if you can be made a predetermined receiver of sick chicks. It's a company policy. If a bird is alive but not in the greatest health it is given an hour or so to recover in back then a customer who has made it known they are willing to take the chick is called and will come pick the sick chicks up. Some live with their issues and some do not.

I'm not sure how your TSC is, but I was just at mine last night looking at their chicks ( a hour before I had just gotten 9 chicks from St, Elmo feed and seed ) and I wasn't pleased with what I was seeing at all, especially comparing TSC to St. Elmo...
The buff orpington bin had a dead chick in it, I know it was dead because all the others where running over the top of it and it wasn't moving at all even when the stampede had cleared. One Buff Orp chick was stuck in the water container so I had to get help from the worker and she said it happened all the time the chick was going to be fine...
One of the pullets bins shavings where soaking wet, and that bin had 2+ dead chicks, one whose neck was cocked at a weird angle and it's head was actually under the wet shavings.
While we where buying the dog food, the lady later told us that we didn't need to worry about the chicks that some fell asleep at weird angles and a lot of the customers freaked out about it. We then told her that we knew at least 3 had already passed cause we seen them, and her only response was to stare at us like we had no idea as of to what we where talking about..
In all, as long as I can go to St. Elmo and get chicks or from a back yard breeder, the only thing i'll be buying from TSC is chicken food. I was just not happy at all with the way they had their chicks.

I will not get into T.S .and the care of (or lack of) baby chicks. I would like to address the nice lady that wants to take sick chickens and try to nurse them back to health. That is a very kind and noble think you are wanting to do. HOWEVER ~ As difficult as it may be for us marshmallow hearted people it is NOT a good thing to do. ESPECIALLY with foul of any breed. Birds seem to be able to carry and have an extensive amount of diseases compared to a lot of other species. (Let's not forget "bird flu") As difficult as it may be, when we intervene with nature and the process of life and death we are up setting the balance of things as they should be. The weak die, the strong survive. When we "save" a sick chick we are saving a bird that may be carrying disease or physical problems that can effect other healthy birds. It is sad, and difficult for those of us who are real soft hearted marshmallows. But I have learned THE HARD WAY it is often best, and kindest, to help a sick bird 'pass on' instead of trying to save it. My problem lies with T.S. for not removing and HUMANELY disposing of the sick chicks. No I would not purchase chicks from T.S. either BUT the sickest, worse, biggest mess, with sick chickens I ever had came from a private breeder. I can not stress enough: if you want chicks, don't let your heart over rule your head. They should not be an impulse purchase. KNOW THE HATCHERY ! RESEARCH FIRST !

I will not get into T.S .and the care of (or lack of) baby chicks. I would like to address the nice lady that wants to take sick chickens and try to nurse them back to health. That is a very kind and noble think you are wanting to do. HOWEVER ~ As difficult as it may be for us marshmallow hearted people it is NOT a good thing to do. ESPECIALLY with foul of any breed. Birds seem to be able to carry and have an extensive amount of diseases compared to a lot of other species. (Let's not forget "bird flu") As difficult as it may be, when we intervene with nature and the process of life and death we are up setting the balance of things as they should be. The weak die, the strong survive. When we "save" a sick chick we are saving a bird that may be carrying disease or physical problems that can effect other healthy birds. It is sad, and difficult for those of us who are real soft hearted marshmallows. But I have learned THE HARD WAY it is often best, and kindest, to help a sick bird 'pass on' instead of trying to save it. My problem lies with T.S. for not removing and HUMANELY disposing of the sick chicks. No I would not purchase chicks from T.S. either BUT the sickest, worse, biggest mess, with sick chickens I ever had came from a private breeder. I can not stress enough: if you want chicks, don't let your heart over rule your head. They should not be an impulse purchase. KNOW THE HATCHERY ! RESEARCH FIRST !

How do you "humanely" dispose of sick chicks? Dig a hole in the dirt with a stick?

Back
Top Bottom